XP Pro wont start after virus removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro wont start after virus removal

Hi again. Was having startup issues, SLOWNESS & freezes prior to running scan. Have XP Pro, sp3 on an HP DV1000 laptop. 120gig. Nothin fancy.

***OFF TOPIC for a second** Has anyone ever ran Microsofts Malicious Software Removal Tool? I did, and it found -0-. Afterwords, I found it had created it's own 30 + gig partition on my hard drive. (It had not BEEN partitioned)****

SOMEONE (not me) ran Virus Scan and Registry programs on my laptop....Froze on 3rd party logon welcome screen w/ no user accts. CONTINUALLY. (Like 40 times) I tried SAFE mode, got blue screen STOP: 0x000000B4?? Video Driver failed to initialize....same with command prompt. Boot from XP Pro cd, but was affraid to reinstall as didnt want to lose all my stuff---tried the REPAIR option, 3 times, but could not be repaired? Then I flashed on the new D:\ drive the MSRT created-- I setup XP Pro, sp1 on that...and NOW.........I have ACCESS to all my stuff on C:\ - I can SEE IT anyway- but have NO IDEA if I should just use the new D:\Windows and move the programs needed from C:\ OR some how FIX my original install.....looks like a program made a lot of "dump****tmp. files and changed all the ini files....Any suggestions?

Re: XP Pro wont start after virus removal

If you suspect any form of intrusion, even if you think this has now been cleared, you should use the opportunity to backup whatever you need and the completely flatten the drive and reinstall from scratch.

And maybe start taking some backups on your new system

Also, I've never seen the Malicious Software Removal Tool create a partition. Are you sure it's not a partition created by the computer manufacturer? If it is and you've written data to it, chances are you've destroyed the recovery image for your machine.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Remove HDD from laptop. Attach HDD to other PC (that has up to date anti virus), take ownership of your data files etc and transfer to new PC. Don't forget Favorites (IE) or Bookmarks (FireFox), NK2 file if using Outlook or Outlook Express folder if using that (or what ever other email client)

Replace HDD in old PC, blow away old install and start clean. Replace backed up files.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

While the other answers are most certainly acceptable, I often will do it a little differently. Nothing at all wrong with the other suggestions, it is a matter of preference. I remove the HDD and connect it to another well protected system and run thorough virus and malware scans. When it comes up clean, I image the drive then restore a previous registry, which if you know how it only takes a few minutes. I will be happy to pass on my 'quick' methods upon request. They have been developed by gleaning from forums and a lot of practice. If the system fails to boot and run properly then I try a repair install. I know this can all take a while, but how long does it take to install and configure several programs. If it fails, you are out your time and energy, you format and reload, but much more often than not I have success.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by HeidiZ View Post
        Hi again. Was having startup issues, SLOWNESS & freezes prior to running scan. Have XP Pro, sp3 on an HP DV1000 laptop. 120gig. Nothin fancy.

***OFF TOPIC for a second** Has anyone ever ran Microsofts Malicious Software Removal Tool? I did, and it found -0-. Afterwords, I found it had created it's own 30 + gig partition on my hard drive. (It had not BEEN partitioned)****

SOMEONE (not me) ran Virus Scan and Registry programs on my laptop....Froze on 3rd party logon welcome screen w/ no user accts. CONTINUALLY. (Like 40 times) I tried SAFE mode, got blue screen STOP: 0x000000B4?? Video Driver failed to initialize....same with command prompt. Boot from XP Pro cd, but was affraid to reinstall as didnt want to lose all my stuff---tried the REPAIR option, 3 times, but could not be repaired? Then I flashed on the new D:\ drive the MSRT created-- I setup XP Pro, sp1 on that...and NOW.........I have ACCESS to all my stuff on C:\ - I can SEE IT anyway- but have NO IDEA if I should just use the new D:\Windows and move the programs needed from C:\ OR some how FIX my original install.....looks like a program made a lot of "dump****tmp. files and changed all the ini files....Any suggestions?

Comment

While that method will work with regards to getting your machine working again, it is not advisable to continue running a system once it has been compromised.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
          X