Is WINS conf reqd for XP wks in NT4 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is WINS conf reqd for XP wks in NT4 domain

We are trying to cut down on our WINS traffic and were wondering, do XP clients need to have the WINS tab configured for connecting to NT 4 Domains or not reqd. any more.

Thanks,
    G

Re: Is WINS conf reqd for XP wks in NT4 domain

Hi,

Unfortunately until DNS takes over name resolution completely and MS and other Software developers decide to scrap NetBIOS altogether then you would be better using WINS.
    If you are referring to Intrasite traffic then you'd be better having the clients configured to use WINS. That way the type of traffic generated would be unicast as opposed to the Broadcast generated if no WINS were specified.
    If you want to minimise Intersite WINS replication then you need to evaluate your Org needs but you can schedule the WINS replication to suit your needs.
    Also you can configure WINS replication partners only as Push or Pull partners to minimise unnecessary replication traffic.

Hope it helps
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Odd... After all, the XP computers are those who need to do the name resolution, and XP does know how to use DNS for that... Nevertheless, it is something that worth to be tested...
      Anyway, if you want to reduce the WINS packets, you can use an LMHOSTS file... Take a look at this article, especially at the Using Centralized LMHOSTS Files part (after all, you would not want to have to go to every computer to edit the LMHOSTS every time there is a change...).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Although Name resolutions are initiated by the Applications or OS, DNS has a crucial role on the resolution process.
        I'd rather opt for a Hybrid Node (H-node) for a NetBIOS name resolution, which is WINS queries and then Broadcasts.
        The LMHosts approach needs to be considered carefully and is a step back in my opinion especially if you don't have a small network.

Have a look at this for more info: - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727005.aspx

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
          DNS has a crucial role on the resolution process
          Of course you are right, L4ndy. This is what I said in my first sentence (I might have phrased it poorly), that given the fact that is XP that needs to resolve the names, it might not need WINS at all (and work only with DNS).

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
          LMHOSTS [...] is a step back
          True, indeed. I just mentioned it as a temporary workaround.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X