Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USERENV logging shows DNS issue, but not sure if the error messages are unrelated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USERENV logging shows DNS issue, but not sure if the error messages are unrelated?

Hi All,

I have recently started looking into some performance related issues on a XP workstation in a 2003 AD domain and have come across what seems to be a well known issue, but can't seem to find a solution.

The workstations simply crash after about a week of operation and the only way to resolve it is to reboot ... same scenario the following week

At the time of the systems becoming unresponsive, the resources (using taskmanager) show NO load on the system (CPU or RAM).

First thing I did was enabled USERENV logging (verbose mode);
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "UserEnvDebugLevel"=dword:00030002

... and see the following errors;

USERENV(300.304) 15:55:18:640 GetUserDNSDomainName: Domain name is NT Authority. No DNS domain name available.

USERENV(30c.3e4) 16:48:33:162 GetUserNameAndDomain Failed to impersonate user
    USERENV(30c.3e4) 16:48:33:162 ImpersonateUser: Failed to impersonate user with 5.

From all of the Google and forum searching that I've done there are non relevant hotfixes for IE6, and most of the issues relate to slow logon (which is not an issue in my situation).

My hunch is that we have a combination of both DNS issues and GPO issues, but want to take a phased approach to understanding them and resolving them. With this in mind, the first thing would be to find out why I am getting theses errors and how to fix them before going back to the performance issues?

Has anyone seen this before and got any experience of troubleshooting and resolving this?

One point worth noting that, is that I am not a domain admin in this environment (core infrastructure is outsourced), so might not be able to do all the tests that may be suggested.

Any assistance would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

Jon

Re: USERENV logging shows DNS issue, but not sure if the error messages are unrelated

While most people would agree that the performance of a Windows box degrades over time, only staying up for a week is a little extreme. The worst I've seen though was someone who hibernated her PC every night.. never rebooted, ever... for 4 years.

On the other hand, most people shut down their machines every night, so you may not be the only person to experience this problem.

Do the event logs not give any indication?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: USERENV logging shows DNS issue, but not sure if the error messages are unrelated

Absolutely nothing in any of the event logs ... it's just weird, that the build becomes totally unresponsive after a period of time. Apps hang, can't task switch etc. (IE7, Outlook or Excel are normally the first apps to become unresponsive)

The scenario is screaming memory leak or CPU being thrashed, but there just seems to be nothing to indicate that any problem exists. Nor anything in the eventlogs to show any issues - not a peep.

It may be worth noting that this is not only happening on a single workstation, but most clients in our area

Cheers,
      Jon

Comment

What do the machines have in common? In particular looking at applications that are running, system services, hardware.

Are hardware drivers all up to date? Are the system BIOSes up to date?

Does the freeze seem to happen at the same time every week? If so try to see what could be happening in the environment around the computers at that time. Maybe the central heating kicks in on a day when someone hasn't opened a window. One amusing anecdote http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?p=675508 and one less amusing http://tafkac.org/medical/hospital_cleaning_lady.html highlight the havoc that can be caused by what would appear to be the simplest of things.
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 19th November 2008, 10:44.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi,

Can you give us a little more info on your setup? Are you using DHCP ? have you got Dynamic DNS enabled ? Also have you got Scavenging enabled at all?
          It just looks like the time pattern coincides with the default period of 7 days when r records are scavenged.

Thanks
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

It happens pretty randomly, and not everyones machine hangs at the same time. Some hang after a reboot and need to be rebooted again. Some weeks only a few hang ... but in general, you can't go more than a week or MAX two without having to reboot the system.

I think it is more to do with the environment than the individual systems ... my theory is based on the fact that I have tested on both the standard unattended (custom) builds and a vanilla XP build (built manually off a CD) and joined to the domain (my own PC).

I have also tested different hardware types (all HP) - XW6200, DC7600

So the common denominator in all of this is the 2003 AD domain, DNS infrastructure etc. I used to think alot of this slow performance was due to getting services (DHCP, DNS, WINS, etc.) across the WAN from Germany but now I'm not so sure that it's latency and rather an architecture issues that needs to be addressed?

Any ideas what the system is doing when it fails to find the DNS domain name?

USERENV(300.304) 15:55:18:640 GetUserDNSDomainName: Domain name is NT Authority. No DNS domain name available.

USERENV(30c.3e4) 16:48:33:162 ImpersonateUser: Failed to impersonate user with 5.

Cheers,
            Jon

Comment

Usually I would recommend bringing a DC/DNS etc onsite to eliminate the latency as being the problem, but I'm guessing as you outsource then that won't be an option?
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Brief overview of setup;

+/- 1000 Clients workstations in London (2x DC's in different locations)
                DHCP hosted centrally in Germany and provisioned across the WAN
                Multiple DNS infrastructure (localy managed QIP subnets, centrally managed DNS in Germany - unknown setup as we don't manage this, but could try and find out some details)

I don't believe we use dynamic DNS because I've seen errors in the event logs when the update DNS check box is enabled.

Not sure about scavenging ... will try and find out and post the info.

Comment

No core services at each site? Hope you have a reliable WAN link.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Yes, we questioned this two years ago when it was first implemented but were shot down with a rather blunt "THE WAN WILL NOT FAIL, so back in you box - we are the architects, etc. etc.".

Some very good people actually left in protest of this design ...

Comment

The best architect in the world can't control whether an earthquake happens...

Quite right of you to question it. Even if there's a DC hosted centrally, there should ideally still be one at each site. The WAN is always going to be the weak link in situations like this as it's one of the factors that is out of your hands. And an outage could be devestating to your company. Perhaps draw up a business case outlining the cost of an outage and present it to management.

We once had an outage that lasted 6 weeks with one supplier, with them fobbing us off with a new excuse every few days. I'll scream the word I'm thinking to wake up the senior manager sitting next to me, rather than posting it here.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Can you imagine the WAN links going down, systems rebooting and not being able to get an IP address ... arrghh

Although the correct approach, it is far to political to get involved with those battles. One thing I've learned from working in a large multi national organisation (past 5 years) is to fight the battles you can win and walk away from the ones you can't (obviously escalate where appropriate, but leave it to mgmt to resolve at their levels) ... sad but true, sigh!

Comment

Let's just hope my mate Dave doesn't stop by with his wire cutters then
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

So getting back to the issue at hand ...

Does anyone know what the system is doing when it fails to find the DNS domain name?

Comment

It's hard to pin down to.
                              What are the Event ID?
                              And when the system becomes Unresponsive what's happening with the explorer.exe process? Have tried to kill and restart the process.
                              Have a look at Sysinternal's Process explorer for more detailed info if you haven't already done so: - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

Ta
                              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                              X