No announcement yet.

Able to reset admin pwd, want to login under old username

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Able to reset admin pwd, want to login under old username

I have an IBM Thinkpad running Windows 2000 Professional. It was previously my work laptop, which I purchased from the company when I left. I log in with the username, pwd, and domain. A few days ago, I was going to install some new software. In the process, I decided to shorten the my computer name and add it to a workgroup. This effectively removed me from the domain. When it restarted, I only had the username and pwd fields. The third field with the domain drop-down list was no longer there. Unfortunately, I cannot log into the system at all. My login had administrator privileges.

I've looked over the How can I gain access to a Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 computer if I forgot the administrator's password? and the link to Petter Nordahl-Hagen's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor worked for me.

I was able to reset the Admin pwd and get back in. I can even access my files (in Explorer or My COmputer). I checked in the Control Panel under "Users and Passwords". I couldn't find my old username. Recreating it just created a new user with admin privileges.

Right now, I'm logging in as "Administrator". I would like to be able to log back into my computer as before, including loading up my personal settings. Is there a way I can reset that password or log in as that? I know I'm just overlooking something so simple.

Create new local user - call it whatever you like. Then merge the profile of the domain user with the new local account.

It will for all intents and purposes have the look and feel of the domain account except that it is now local.

Read the following topic for links to instructions.;highlight=

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **