Tracking user CD/DVD disc burning activity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking user CD/DVD disc burning activity

Does anyone have any suggestions for tracking a user's CD/DVD disk burning activity? I would prefer if it was native in Windows as opposed to third party software but I will take any suggestions given.

Cheers,
    Anonpostguy

Re: Tracking user CD/DVD disc burning activity

What software do you use? The event logs will show when the associated services start and stop if you use the builtin CD burning facility, but I don't believe it includes username.

Presumably all you want to log is username?

As far as I know there's no way to audit this. Certainly not natively in Windows, and definately not if you're using third party software to burn disks.

Out of interest, why do you want to see who's burnt discs?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Remove the burner, or at least the data cable. No more burning
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There's an idea

I believe you need to be an administrator to burn CDs in Windows XP - certainly you need to be one to do it using Nero. Enter Nero BurnRghts - grant this permission to standard users. You can define who can burn disks, without making them administrators.

Edit: Without a doubt my most retarded post so far. Of course you don't need to be an administrator to use the builtin burning capabilities. Pretty much all of our staff burn disks on their machines, and there's no way in hell they're local admins.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          What software do you use? The event logs will show when the associated services start and stop if you use the builtin CD burning facility, but I don't believe it includes username.

Presumably all you want to log is username?

As far as I know there's no way to audit this. Certainly not natively in Windows, and definately not if you're using third party software to burn disks.

Out of interest, why do you want to see who's burnt discs?
          Some of our clients are financial institutions. Due to the personal information that we are dealing with, we are required to show the movement of this information through our system. Sometimes we are required to burn information to disc and must capture who did the burning, what files were burned, and the date and time.

If it is not possible within Windows itself, can anyone suggest a third party auditing tool to accomplish this?

Thanks,
          Anonpostguy

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
            Remove the burner, or at least the data cable. No more burning
            We still have to burn CD/DVD's but the activity must be tracked.

Comment

I would recommend that you remove the optical drives from computers, and setup a machine with a burner in a secure area that people are required to authenticate to get into. Swipecard, fingerprint, etc.

Edit: FYI, you can edit your existing posts if you want to add to them, rather than posting twice in a row.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

I would recommend that you remove the optical drives from computers, and setup a machine with a burner in a secure area that people are required to authenticate to get into. Swipecard, fingerprint, etc.

Edit: FYI, you can edit your existing posts if you want to add to them, rather than posting twice in a row.
                We are doing exactly that. We are removing all optical drives and disabling usb on the bios for all the users that handle the sensitive data. And, we are setting up one system in a room that requires an ID swipe. However, we need to track what happens on that one computer in the lockup room, as far as burning goes.

Comment

I'd suggest disabling USB through Device Manager rather than in the BIOS. That requires administrative privileges to undo, rather than entering the BIOS, or clearing the CMOS. You can also prevent USB storage devices from functioning (as well as CD drives, floppies etc) without affecting other USB devices by reading one of Daniel's articles.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

I'd suggest disabling USB through Device Manager rather than in the BIOS. That requires administrative privileges to undo, rather than entering the BIOS, or clearing the CMOS. You can also prevent USB storage devices from functioning (as well as CD drives, floppies etc) without affecting other USB devices by reading one of Daniel's articles.
                    Thanks for the tip, however, disabling USB in BIOS vs Device Manager is a decision that's out of my hands.

Are there any third-party CD/DVD burning software packages that will log the files and folders burned to disc? I've checked Nero's logs and they don't show any detail regarding the files burned. I'm looking for anything with a significant level of granularity.

Comment

Couldn't find anything that could do this. May want to call corporate sales of Nero, Adaptec, etc. and see if they have any specialized products that can do this. If they don't, they may be able to point you to a company that does.
                      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry sir but could you please also give me some suggestions? Sorry, but whether there is someone who can help me out? i have a recent problem when i am trying burrning DVD to a blank disk. I burned a DVD movie bought from Amazon store to a blank disk from a local market. I am totally sure the disk format is VOB - MPG-2 , the commonest DVD dics format (because i foundit should be like that format and codec in this article:[[edited]]). But after i inserted my burned DVD the screen immediately got blue and the disk still kept running. Sometimes it even made it harder for me to take the disc out. What's wrong with it? Is itbecause of CSS or copyright protection? ( i am not pretty sure what they are ) I bought in Amazon which is legal, so i do not thing copyright protection is the reason.
                        I found a vert similar thread as well in [[edited]] , you can see from it that some one mentioned that might be that my player too old. But my sony DVD player was bought just in 2014, 3 years from now, and i frequently clean it and i am pretty sure there is no scratch behind my dvd disk.
                        Last edited by tmd; 21st July 2017, 12:13. Reason: edited out spam links

Comment

Working...
                        X