Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer.exe high memory usage

Hello,

I have a customer with a HP xw4600 workstation running Windows XP Pro SP2 32-bit. 2GB RAM, SATA hard drive, dual-core processor, ATI video card with dual monitors. They run AutoCAD 2009 and Office 2003 Pro on this machine. They connect to a Windows 2003 SBS server with a couple of different file shares.

When accessing one and only one of the mapped drives on the server, it takes about 30 seconds for the window to show the folders (only about 10 folders) and the machine basically hangs while it is doing this. I watched CPU usage in Task Manager, and noticed explorer.exe starts at about 20MB memory usage, and spikes up to 150MB usage when it is trying to load the drive, and then goes back down to 20MB-ish after the drive finally comes up. I cannot get any other computer to have this problem nor can I get this to happen on any other drive share.

I loaded the latest Broadcom network card drivers today with no change. Their switch is a HP Procurve 4000M with 10/100 interfaces. I hard set the clients network card to 100 full instead of Auto and that's fully hangs the box where you have to power it off. The network cable looks good between each device, but I have not swapped them yet.

I checked permissions on the share and it looks appropriate for the user.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks.

-m

Re: Explorer.exe high memory usage

One thing to try,
    open explorer.exe, go to tools, folder options>view, then find 'automatically search for network shares and printers' un check it.
    See if that helps.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

I'm not sure what it could be but do you use Offline files for this share? Are there files as well as folders in the share root? If so, how large are the files and how many?
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Try upgrading to SP3 to see if that helps.

On the server, maybe run chkdsk or equivalent on the volume that share resides on - it's unlikely but the problem could suggest a filesystem problem.

As has already been asked, what is the size of files in the share?

If it only affects one share then it's unlikely to be a networking hardware issue, but try swapping round the cables to eliminate them. Also try swapping ports on the switch. At least then you can say you tried it.

Are you running a clean installation of XP, or HP's OEM image with the associated bloatware?

What antivirus are you running?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You could try procexp from the sysinternals suite to see if it is calling anything.
          Maybe the AV is doing something funny?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Offline files have already been turned off.

I turned off Auto search for folders and printers, no change.

The network drive has 6 folders and 1 file at the root level.

The desktop and server are running AVG 7.5 Network Edition. Previously Symantec Corp Edition Antivirus v10 was installed and it showed the same problem.

The desktop has the original HP image with their tools in it.

I deleted and remapped the drive, no change.

If I open the drive (with the waiting) and after the files appear, hit refresh, it has the same pause and effect to explorer.exe.

I am not onsite, but will try swapping cables the next time I am there. I'm a little nervous to load SP3.

I also turned off Let Windows turn off this device to save power in the network adapter properties.

The version information from explorer.exe is 6.0.2900.3156. My own desktop computer (which also is xp sp2) is 6.0.2900.2180. Any info on the details of that version? Or maybe I can copy in another file from a different computer that has the same version.

Thanks again.

-m

Comment

I would take a look and see if any other processes are spiking when you access that mapped drive. Also try disabling the AV and see if that makes a difference.

What happens when you access the share directly without mapping the drive?
              Have you checked to see if there's any hidden or system files?
              How large is that one file in the directory?

BTW - SP3 is stable and is fine to install. It won't be anything like SP2 was. I recommend updating to SP3.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                BTW - SP3 is stable and is fine to install. It won't be anything like SP2 was. I recommend updating to SP3.
                Seconded. All of my clients have deployed SP3 across their organisations without issue.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi!

I uninstalled AVG 7.5 and the problem went awat. I reinstalled and it's still slow. I moved some files out of the root of the network drive and that has returned the speed to normal. The user will test it over the next few days, but seems as antivirus was frantically trying to scan the files causing a major slowdown....

Why it wasn't doing the same thing on other computers, I guess I'll never know...

Thanks again for the advice!

-m

Comment

Were the files big or numerous?
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

There was 1 executable file that was about 200MB in the folder. I moved it to a different folder.

-m

Comment

Might be a way to exclude files over a certain size (obviously with caution!).
                        Glad you solved it.
                        cheers
                        Andy

Comment

Working...
                        X