Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying boot drive (XP)

Hi, (first post),

This is XP pro 32 on a lone games PC having 2 internal SATA drives.

XP was originally installed by someone competent on the C drive. Eventually it got into a mess and I reinstalled it, but possibly on the wrong drive - I say that because Acronis Disk Image was identifying the disk with the Windows files as "D". The computer worked OK for about a year until I had problems again, and then after various Acronis restorations of the complete system-disk image onto both disks (don't ask!), it resulted in another mess.

Someone competent then reinstalled windows again , and now all is working, and Acronis agrees with Windows about which is C (with the Windows files) and D.

Trouble is, there are remains of old Windows files on the D drive. Also, Balarc Adviser doesn't give complete information or mention SMART for the D drive.

I thought it be a good idea to reformat D to clean it up, until someone pointed out it could just possibly have the boot sector on it and recommended disconnecting it to make sure the PC boots without it. But I don't know which SATA connector is which on the motherboard and one of them is a bit loose anyway, so I don't want to fiddle around with that.

Is there an easy way for me to establish for certain that the system and everything related to it is on C, and that I can safely reformat D?

Re: Identifying boot drive (XP)

You could follow the SATA cables to find out which is which... and if you don't want to unplug them on the motherboard you can unplug them from the disk. Unplug them one at a time and see what breaks. It won't be anything that can't be fixed by plugging it back in again.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Gareth,

You're a genius! (All things being relative)

I disconnected at the HDs (Sod's law it was the wrong one first), but C did start up fine on it's own.

Will now format D.

Comment

Originally posted by EPR guy View Post
        You're a genius! (All things being relative)
        *does the relative genius dance*

Glad you got it sorted
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X