Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Permissions

Hi,

I had a Windows 2003 server installed which had a domain in it. And recently I changed the domain and add some users to the new domain (new domain has a different name compared to the previous). Now the users of the new domain are experiencing some file access problems when they try to edit the documents that they have previously created in the old domain( those documents resides in the local computer). They can't edit the previous files and those show as read only. can I use a setting globally, so as the users can access their previous files while restricting software installation rights? I went through gpedit.msc utility but I couldn't find any clue? Any help pls ????

thanks

amitha

Re: File Permissions

Please check the Effective Permissions of the users having trouble on the files in question. Ensure that you have changed the permissions to reflect the fact that you now have new user accounts. Two users on two domains, even with the same username, will have a different SID.

Originally posted by amitha View Post
    those documents resides in the local computer
    If you're running a domain, why do your users have local profiles?

Are the documents stored in the users' home directories? Check the permissions on the directories - usually you will want the Owner to be Administrators and the user to have Modify permissions, with child objects of that directory inheriting its permissions.

Edit: I'm assuming, and hoping, that your workstations are all running on NTFS partitions, not FAT32. What OS are you running on the clients?
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 10th November 2008, 11:09.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You could take ownership of the files as an administrator, then when ur the owner give the users the required access they need to the files/folders
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Dear Gforceindustries,

I'm using Windows XP for clients and the file system is NTFS. The main thing is not lies on user profiles, thing is users are unable to access the files resides in the d: or c: that they have saved during they were in the previous domain. All the files apears read only. ???????

Comment

Check the Effective Permissions for the users using the format DOMAIN\user - two users with the same username on different domains have a different SID and therefore granting DOMAIN1\Dave permissions to a file does not grant those permissions to DOMAIN2\Dave.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
          X