Locked out of XP Pro after changing BIOS level password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked out of XP Pro after changing BIOS level password

Hello everyone....my name is Heidi. I've been messing with computers since I TRIED to upgrade my daughter's TEACHERS computer at school from Windows 3.1 to 95....YIKES....with NO prior experience! This was YEARS ago & she forgave me thankfully! Since then I have learned to build one from empty box on up...

NEVER have I changed a password and NOT been able to get in / or be LOCKED out completely!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Had machine set up to require password BEFORE bios/setup and BEFORE XP Pro screen. Kids (daughters friends) were getting on and downloading stuff that was questionable to say the least......that was over a year ago, and I've been having SLOW boots, HANGS during XP screen, etc, where I've needed to reboot continually - so thought getting rid the password would make my current problem of having to reboot a little less annoying. ?? So I entered bios/setup, and in security, changed the password from what it was currently to _ _ _ _ _ nothing...just hit enter where it said to enter NEW- then hit enter again leaving the new password as BLANK? I thought? exited saving changes- restarted, at prompt for pw just hit enter....wrong!!! tried again...LOCKED OUT!!!! forgot error code...I'm on a friends PC looking for help...rebooted and tried the PREVIOUS pw, WRONG!!!! Tried this CONTINUALLY until I realized I SCREWED UP!!! Any help???

Re: Locked out of XP Pro after changing BIOS level password

You can reset the bios password by either finding out what motherboard you have and determining which pin it is (manual usually says this).
    or you can remove the power to the board and take out the battery. This will clear the cmos to defaults and should allow you to boot it again.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I use this for OS & Bios password resets, works 100% every time.
      <URL Removed>
      Last edited by Dumber; 6th November 2008, 22:53.

Comment

Just the usual reminder that you should own legal copies of the utilities on Hiren's Boot CD before you use them -- most are not free
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Google has a fine array of various methods to get into your BIOS.
          http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...password&meta=
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Locked out after changing Bios P/W

Hi again...Thanks for replying! I guess I was a little TOO STRESSED at what I had done and SHOULD HAVE given you guys a little info on my computer - it's an HP DV1000 Laptop...I've had it all the way apart to get to the fan next to the CPU that gets clogged about every 6 months to clean it, and I don't recall EVER seeing a CMOS battery OR a JUMPER...These things don't have ROOM for all that - DO THEY?? I know it's ESC to change boot order and F10 to enter setup...too bad my P/W is required before either. Oh - the error code is: SYSTEM DISABLED [02343] and appears after 3 attempts at P/W.....Hey - would re-installing the OS do anything for this??

I am going to check out/try what each of you suggest - minus the mobo/cmos battery.....and what ever the <URL removed> site was that works 100% , that I failed to see before it was removed.... Just thought you knowing what I was working with would be helpful!

Thanks again for the fast responses - I'm impressed and grateful! If my problem being on an HP laptop changes any of your suggestions - FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW.

One more thing - I was absolutely SHOCKED to be unable to find ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE to my problem on the MICROSOFT web site....What's UP with THAT???

Comment

Re: Locked out after changing Bios P/W

Reinstalling the OS would do nothing for you if there is a BIOS password set. All pc's have a CMOS battery. Look for a coin shaped battery with the characters "CR2032" on it. That's the CMOS battery. Pull it out for a few minutes and reinstall it. That will set the CMOS settings back to the default and remove the password.

Comment

HeidiZ,
                Please use the POST REPLY button in your earlier thread rather than posting a new one

Reported to forum mods/admins for merging
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

HeidiZ - If it is a laptop that makes things a little more difficult.

Having read a few post it looks like you will need to get the laptop to a HP dealer to get it reset. "Snorkytheweasel" apart from having a great name... also posted in this forum
                  http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...-password.html
                  with a link to the manual and the proper procedure.

Just to confirm as well, this is not Microsoft's fault. They have no control over your laptop bios password. This is purely an issue between HP and you.
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Threads are merged.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Yipeeeeeeeeee!!! Well, I'm back IN.....Thanks to you all for your suggestions....I went to HP.com and looked up my model manual, and AMAZINGLY, there IS a tiny little CMOS battery(it's cute!) near the speakers...had to take the entire thing down to the mobo to get to it, but did remove for 5 mins then put back together and TADA!! Here I am!

THANKS!!!

Comment

I've never heard of a battery being called cute.
                        Glad you got it sorted.
                        cheers
                        Andy

Comment

I blow my UPS kisses every morning
                          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Oh boy...
                            I think you all should talk with your wifes.
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I can't afford a wife not on my salary I can barely afford the curries and lagers that my job description orders me to consume. Not that I'm complaining.
                              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                              X