Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile....

i have copied a user profile in a folder , then in a profile tab of another user i typed the UNC address of that folder .

the new user with the profile of that folder has a little problem.

as i want to login with the new user , after typing the user/pass i face the bellow error:

Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you log off. You may receive this error message because of network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

even the KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873485 didn't say any useful info.

plz help me what to do.

Re: Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile....

So are you trying to copy an existing users roaming profile into a new users profile?

Comment

Few questions hamed:

"i have copied a user profile in a folder"
      Did you copy that profile to a server and was that folder where shared?
      Did you check the permisions Sir? I believe you need to Give proper share permission (at least Change to the folder) and full control to the Profile.
      I hope this helps...
      Last edited by NonoRonuel; 3rd November 2008, 03:06.
      Ronuel
      MCP
      There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Comment

Try following these steps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314478

What else u need to do after u have created the roaming profile for a user is, log out and log back in as the local administrator and then copy the profile to the \\server\share

Also on the server share make sure the users who will be using it, system and administrators have full control on the folders and all sub-folders under the roaming profile folder and it has inherited the proper permissions.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

there is no kind of roaming profile ...

there is no kind of network too !!!

i have done this through my standalone xp workstation.

Comment

Originally posted by hamed89156 View Post
            i have copied a user profile in a folder , then in a profile tab of another user i typed the UNC address of that folder

I can't picture what you're describing here, if it is indeed just a standlone XP workstation. Can you please take a screenshot of the window where you have entered this? If it is just a standalone machine with no network, then why are you entering a UNC path rather than D:\path\to\profile ?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

There's a mistake going around. Take a look at the attached pic, I think this is what the OP did, after he copied the profile of an existing user to some place.
              Now, hamed89156, if I am right, than this is not the way to do it.
              If I understood right, you need to create a new user, whose profile is the same like of an existing one. And all this, on one stand-alone XP computer.
              ( BTW, too bad we need to guess and assume and think so many things... Too bad you did not provide any info what so ever... )
              If you did what is shown here, then the computer understands that the user's profile is a roaming one (hence the error message). So, as I said, this is not the proper way.
              This is what you should have done:
              1) create the new user profile (create the user and then login to that account);
              2) log off from the new user's account and login with an Administrator (not with the new user, and not with the user you want to copy the profile from);
              3) right-click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles. Choose the user you want to duplicate and click the CopyTo button. In the path to copy to, write the path to the new user's profile (usually C:\My documents\[NewUser]). Click OK. You'll get a warning message, stating that the folder already contains data and it will be deleted. That's OK.
              4) log off and login with the new user and see that you got what you wanted.
              Notice that by copying a profile from user to user, you will duplicate all personal files also.
              Attached Files

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

I read that you do not have a network at all but this is a stand alone Windows XP computer.

you should be working with each individual that signs on to that machine as there is no network.

The local profile will be created when they sign on. You can give them permission at any level from user to administrator depending on what they have to do on the local computer. Control the login by requiring Ctrl, Alt and Del keystrokes to log in and choose their local profile from the list.

keep this as simple as possible while providing the level of security you desire.

hope this helps

by the way, if you were on a network and getting that message you would need to check the ownership of the profile and make sure the Administrator had ownership as this is the only way to have the profile found and brought down to the local workstation when that user signs in.
                Last edited by hemmerg; 3rd November 2008, 15:15. Reason: just an FYI

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  1) create the new user profile (create the user and then login to that account);
                  2) log off from the new user's account and login with an Administrator (not with the new user, and not with the user you want to copy the profile from);
                  3) right-click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles. Choose the user you want to duplicate and click the CopyTo button. In the path to copy to, write the path to the new user's profile (usually C:\My documents\[NewUser]). Click OK. You'll get a warning message, stating that the folder already contains data and it will be deleted. That's OK.
                  4) log off and login with the new user and see that you got what you wanted.
                  Notice that by copying a profile from user to user, you will duplicate all personal files also.

sorinso thank u very much...

that really worked , but i wonder why we can't define a customized profile for a user in profile tab ...

Thanks again.

Comment

I don't quite understand what you mean by
                    Originally posted by hamed89156 View Post
                    can't define a customized profile for a user
                    Regarding the profile tab, every field there has its purpose... You cannot use it for something you want:
                    User Profile section:
                    - Profile Path: the (UNC) path to the user's roaming profile. This is the way to transform a profile from local to roaming. By populating this field;
                    - Logon Script: the (UNC) path to the user's login script.
                    Home Folder:
                    - Local Path: if you want to change the default Home Directory location (in XP and 2003Server is %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Username, in Vista is %SystemDrive%\Users\Username). If you'll check the local environments on your computer, you'll see this value in %Homepath%;
                    - Connect allows you to define the home directory on a network share and map it as a specific drive letter.

This is it. These are the rules and the options. You cannot bend them to meet your requirements.

I am glad you solved the issue.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X