No announcement yet.

file sharing between 2 xp sp2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file sharing between 2 xp sp2

I have a router to broadband DSL. At other side of the router are two xp pro sp2 PCs, one ("A") is English xp pro and the other ("B") is Chinese xp pro. Both PCs can access Internet for surfing and playing games. They can ping each other and can see (win explorer) each others shared folders. They have the same use names and passwords.

Now the problem: A can browse and copy files and subfolders shared out by B. But B can only see the shared folder of A. When I use B to click on any of A's subfolders in win explorer, it took ages to respond. Sometimes it eventually listed out the content, sometimes it just stopped with message saying some kind of name could not be found.

I've tried connecting with computer names and IP (auto from DHCP of the router), drive mapping and \\name\share, with and without NetBIOS enabled. But still the same problem. I have check the LAN Connection Properties of both PCs. They are exactly the same except that A has ICS installed but disabled while B doesn't install ICS, which I think is irrelevant. Can anybody help me on this?

Still not able to resolve my problem. I have monitored the connection using "netstat -an" command. I found that both directions (A->B and B->A) could be successfully established. When NetBIOS is used, the client tried to use port around 10xx and the server use either 139 or 445. In case of A->B, the link can stay for very long time. I did 5 file copies for a 161MB file via the link and only 1 failed. In case of B->A, the link could be established, but then lost very soon and the client switched to the next port (port number +1) to try to establish a link. Most of these re-establishing success but then lost again very soon. The client (B) repeated this story on and on. This is why I can see the shared folder but takes a long time, or fail, to see the sub-folder.

Hope these further info can help others to help me.

try to enable file and print sharing in the windows firewall

good luck

Good Luck

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
      the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!