Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP CD Key Problem

Hi,

New here, came across the website while trying to find a solution to my problem, anyway my problem is below, hope someone can help

I went over my brother in laws yesterday as he had problems booting his laptop. After looking at the laptop it was clear the hard drive was dead. So I replaced the hard drive and wanted to reinstall Windows XP, his Toshiba laptop is about 5 years old and they didn't have the win xp disk anymore.

I thought it didn't really matter as he has the cd-key on the bottom of his laptop and I have an xp disk. I installed xp to the point of it asking for the Cd key, I input the key from the bottom of the laptop and it just said invalid cd key.

The cd key is definately valid as its an a certificate of authenticity sticker on the bottom, and the laptop was bought from new. I was wondering if it was because my xp was retail and his was pre-installed.

Either way I need to know if I can use my key to install windows and if there is a way of changing my key to his key once Windows is installed and activating his copy using his key, as my key is being used on my own computer.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Cheers
    Jon

Re: Windows XP CD Key Problem

Bingo. OEM key, retail CD. Not compatible.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Original reply removed...(((( see above))))
      Last edited by uk_network; 28th October 2008, 02:11.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Hi,

As I mentioned the other hard drive is dead, as dead as a hard drive can be. I have the certifcate of authenticity on the bottom of the laptop with the key on it.

Problem is it wont accept it. I found this site through google, it has an article on how to make a windows oem cd use a retail key. I am looking how to do it the other way around. Basically get windows retail to use an oem key.

I can install it using my retail key, but I would like to change it to the oem key once I get windows running, and then I can activate it using the oem key thats on the laptop.

Hope that made it a little clearer

Jon

Comment

Why did I just loose a rep point for giving someone an answer?

Rep point lost for .....already answered???? why didn't you just lock the post so that no one else could comment????
          I mean if your answer was the only answer and there was no other way.

Look at the time they were both posted...............SAME TIME

That was totally and utterly unfair.

Do you care to explain yourself??

I think my answer was quicker and more efficient to do than yours and u got a bit upset. What happened to freedom of speech???
          Last edited by uk_network; 29th October 2008, 22:43.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Stop pointing fingers. I didn't do it.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
              What happened to freedom of speech???
              Well nothing, and if you have looked around a bit you should know it.
              Also you should know that you cannot see who gave you (negative) reppoints in the userCP.
              So pointing to one of our respected Moderators isn't the solution without any proof.
              Another solution was to PM wired and ASK if he did it.
              Anyhow, just blaming somebody isn't quite smart, isn't it?

In the meanwhile this thread will be monitored.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Ok, so people talking about rep points aside.

Is the only way to reinstall XP on his laptop is to get replacement media from Toshiba or to find someone with an OEM CD? The laptop was bought brand new so we could contact Toshiba, I was just trying to find a quicker way to do it.

Thanks for the advice though.
                Jon

Comment

Obtaining the restore media from Toshiba would be the best option - this way the operating system would be installed along with the specific drivers required for your hardware. They usually want about 15-20 for it.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                    Why did I just loose a rep point for giving someone an answer?

Rep point lost for .....already answered???? why didn't you just lock the post so that no one else could comment????
                    I mean if your answer was the only answer and there was no other way.

Look at the time they were both posted...............SAME TIME

That was totally and utterly unfair.

Do you care to explain yourself??

I think my answer was quicker and more efficient to do than yours and u got a bit upset. What happened to freedom of speech???
                    It wasn't Wired, nor was it any of the moderators. I will contact the person who did it and see why he did it. I'm not even sure that it was for THIS post, but as I said, I will contact him and ask for an answer. In any case, for this post I do not see any reason for him to give you negative rep points, and I will return your points back to the way they were (at least until I get a reply from that user).
                    Last edited by danielp; 31st October 2008, 22:47.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi, i've been told it wasnt wired.so I have sent him a private message to apologise.
                      Thanks for your assistance with the rep point saga.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Working...
                      X