X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "windows xp startup password"

hello every1

can anyone tell me how to enable windows xp startup password
    this password comes before the login screen with username and password...
    thnxx
    reply ASAP

Re: "windows xp startup password"

By disabling Fast user switching.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

ive already disabled that,,
      but it changed to classic logon...
      nothing else happened..
      i m talking about the first password which doesnt require a username....

Comment

Originally posted by abhinandanjuyal View Post
        ive already disabled that,,
        but it changed to classic logon...
        nothing else happened..
        i m talking about the first password which doesnt require a username....
        Are you thinking of a password set at the BIOS level? What kind of machine / BIOS do you have? DEL, F1, F2, F10 are common keys to put you in the BIOS during the "post" (pre-boot) process.

Please ask for help from an IT professional if this doesn't make 100% sense to you.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

hi
          thnx for replying
          well m myself an IT professional
          n m nt talking about the BIOS password
          that password is entered after XP boot..and as soon as we enter the password it then asks for username and password

Comment

Just a CYA (Cover your arse) disclaimer as I never know who I'm dealing with and last thing I want is a non-IT type in the BIOS setup mucking up things.

So this password request comes after you see the Windows XP banner and before you're asked for ctrl-alt-del?
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

click start>control panel>user accounts

right click my computer>manage>local users and groups, and set there...
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

yes
                u r right
                after xp banner n before alt+ctrl+del

Comment

can you tell me exactly where in local users and groups
                  thanx

Comment

Assuming you are not in a domain:

Go to Users
                    Right Click a User Account
                    Select "Set Password"

Acknowledge warning that any encrypted files will be lost forever by clicking "Proceed"

Enter new password twice & click OK

PS -- please help non-english speaking (and some english speaking) users of the board by not using txt spk as it is VERY difficult to interpret sometimes.
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You sure we're not talking about some disk encryption software that asks for a password once the driver loads?
                      Cheers,

Rick

Comment

On a clean XP install, there are only those two passwords (that already have been mentioned):
                        - BIOS
                        - XP Login

Anything else it's a sign for a 3rd party software (like rvalstar mentioned).

And, please ! Posts like this
                        thnx for replying
                        well m myself an IT professional
                        n m nt talking about the BIOS password
                        are not acceptable. Please use English (as you are requested in the forum rules).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                        -

Comment

yaa
                          m sure..
                          its inbuilt in xp

Comment

I would take a photo of it and post it here.
                            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

abhinandanjuyal,

I'm sure you're wrong. Well cool discussion huh? So for the last time, post in English only and use some kind of spelling checker. I really don't like the writing style you're using.

Anyway: Within XP their are 2 ways to login either by using the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen or via Fast user switching (can be password protected).
                              Their are NO other options per default to use a logon screen with XP.

Well, what could it be?
                              At startup, the computer will check the BIOS. If their is a password set, you will be prompted for a password.
                              Next, the computer will start up further. If their is a Third party software installed (like a disk encrypter) you might be prompted again for a password.
                              After this, the computer will fully boot and finally you will be in XP where at maximum 2 different logon options are presented like I described earlier the ctrl-alt-del screen or fast user switching.

Btw, Fast user switching is only available when the client is not joined in a domain environment.
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands
                              http://www.phetios.com
                              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                              X