password protected computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• password protected computer

I oicked up what appears to be a recent vintage HP PAVILLION. XP PRO. 2 users are on the welcom screen, ALL(parent) and KIDS. The ALL is password protected the KIDS are not. I only have access to the KIDS half. Certain protection programs cannot be downloades. As for the ALL section how do I defete or somehow get around the password, or find it listed somewhere in the system, so I can log on. I need to do this so I can then see what programs I need to remove and add. I have tried many tricks as outlined in many searches. Nothing works so far. Downloading programs, some programs will not download, some tips are too complicated for me, ect. I am NOT a technogeek. I need simple straight forward instructions. This tower was left on the street intact. I was surprised it worked at all. Solutions please!

Re: password protected computer

1. Try re-writing the post with a bit of effort so it is easy for people to read.
    2. What methods of resetting the password have you tried and what happened. They pretty much all work so maybe you are doing something wrong that we can help with.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

If the computer was just left in the street, then perhaps you should format the drive and reinstall Windows. You have absolutely no idea what potentially illegal material there is on the machine, and as you did not buy it from someone you would have no legal defence.

On the other hand, if you just want to reset the password, there is a section of the forum dedicated to this, and there are articles on the site as well. Try the search box.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

password protected tower

It was suggested that I rewrite this post for clarity, I will try to do so. Please note that I am a novice and am not fluent in computer jargon. I am using an HP PAVILLION running win xp pro. At the log on screen there are two account users on screen. One is called "ALL" which requires a password which I do not know. The other is called "KIDS" which is not password protected. I need to have access to the "ALL" part of the system so I can see what programs I wish to remove and which I need to add. The "KIDS" part of the system does not allow me to download what I need. "you do not have permission to execute this action" or similar appeares. The last thing I tried was the following--- start/run/cmd/enter/configuration screen, attempted to access "ALL"(owner) part, access denied. Attempted to change password, access denied. According to the video I watched the CONFIGURATION screen was to list all users from which I could choose "OWNER" and change the password without knowing the original, which is exactly where I find myself. The screen only showed "KIDS". I could not make any changes. The same author also said that 90% of the time the "ADMINISTRATOR"(owner) does not have a password in place. He did not say what to do if there IS one in place. Every tip I tried as shown or written was not what I encountered. Much contradictory info from any number of sources. I am still confused, even more so. I cannot believe that the OS does not provide a way to remove a password. You can add one but not remove them. Certain actions like accessing "DEFULT settings are denied at the "KIDS" level. Only the ADMIN has that right, Classic catch 22. This is a nice tower. I hate to discard it just because Icannot get past the password. Solutions please. I hope this long and boring post explains it in enough detail. I don*t think I can do any better.

Comment

password protected tower

As a novice there is just so much I understand about the technical side of computers. Part of my problem is I do not know anyone I can talk to one on one, and I have difficulty understanding the techncal fundamentals of how computers work, let alone the electrical problems that can happen. I will search your site for better info. I would like to solve this myself but I doubt that will happen. I will post again I am sure.

Comment

Re: password protected tower

Why have you posted THREE threads on this when you could just as well have added replies to your original thread.
            Last edited by gforceindustries; 24th October 2008, 10:27.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: password protected tower

All are merged together.
              I already have quite some routine in it..
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

At the xp welcome screen, press control+alt+del twice, and it should take u to the administrator logon, try logging on with Administrator and no password. I find a lot of people with xp at home dont really set any admin pass.
                Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

I have tried that trick and many others offered from many sites. It does NOT work in my case on this particular tower. Apparently the previous owner DID use an administrators password. The log on screen shows 2 distinc users, parent, labeled "ALL" and the children labeled "KIDS". The KIDS side is unprotected, the ALL site IS protected. I need access to ALL because the KIDS side will NOT allow me to download all the important programs I need, anti virus, firewall, media player, ect. One person made a video that showed a CONFIGUREATION screen that listed ALL users on the tower. The password could be changed by the new user WITHOUT knowing the current password. Sounds good doesn*t it. The issue is that the "C: screen I get only shows the KIDS name as a user NOT "ALL" as the primary user. NO "ALL" no password change. Classic catch 22. Chicken or the egg. There MUST be a way around this issue. Any more ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by rtrg View Post
                    Any more ideas?
                    Not new, gforceindustries already mentioned this: get an XP CD and clean install the laptop.
                    If, despite you being not a computer geek, you want to try and breach the laptop's Administrator password, look in the Forgot Administrator Password forum here.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X