can use "run as"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can use "run as"

I want to run "explorer" as administrator, and I followed the instruction i found here, but nothing happened. I mean no error message pop up, no new window pop up either, totally nothing.

I also checked the services, made sure "secondary logon" is "automatic" and restart it.

still not working.

HELP! tks.

Re: can use "run as"

Try this:

runas /user:administrator "explorer.exe /separate"
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

awesome! it works now, but i don't know why, i mean i tried the same command before, it didn't work, i thought i didn't key in the right command, so I copied and pasted it, failed, but this time, it works!!!!!!

by the way, how can i add to your reputation?

Comment

Hi i'm glad it works, at the top right on the blue bar the circle (black and white) click that.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

i got another question, i tried to use "Windows Explorer" in "start"-->"programs"--"accessories", and right click on it-->"run as", got error mess: unable to logon: logon failure: unknow user name or bad password, and i tried couple times to make sure i key in the right ID and pw, always the same error mess,

do u know why?

Comment

Even if you do it that way it wont run or display.

Try this if u want a shortcut.
            do a search for explorer.exe, when u find it right click>send to>desktop (create shortcut)
            go to the shortcut and right click>properties
            in target make sure it says
            C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /separate

right click the shortcut and choose runas

If your on a domain u will need domain\administrator
            if in a work group try computername\administrator
            make sure caps lock is off and that ur entering the right password.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

yeah, u r right, that works too, but do u mind tell me why the one in "accessories" doesn't work?

Comment

I think it's because doing it that way explorer knows that explorer.exe is already running and doesn't open a separate one.
                'dont quote me on that'

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                  I think it's because doing it that way explorer knows that explorer.exe is already running and doesn't open a separate one.
                  'dont quote me on that'
                  I think that's close but not quite there. But also, don't quote me on this:

The first instance of explorer.exe executed under a user account is the shell. Subsequent attempts to run explorer.exe cause the first instance to spawn a folder window.

Because you're using runas, explorer.exe is being started as a different user account, under which there is not currently an instance of explorer.exe running. Therefore rather than spawning a folder window, it tries to run explorer.exe as the shell.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

lol yer, could be this reason::

The reason RunAs doesn’t work with Explorer is because when explorer.exe starts, by default it looks to the current desktop for an already running instance of itself. The new instance notifies the previous one, which performs the requested operation while the new process quietly exits. Since explorer.exe also provides the interactive shell – the desktop and the taskbar – explorer.exe is always running except in unusual circumstances.

Or maybe they all mean the same thing just said differently

Have a nice weekend guys

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Re: cann't use "run as"

tks, guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X