Temporary disable logon on client workstation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary disable logon on client workstation

I need to be able to stop a user logging into a workstation whilst a machine start-up script (vbscript) runs from group policy.

The script silently installs a large application and licensing software, there is an information screen (IE window) displayed during the installation process which asks them not to login. But I would also like to disable the user login, just to be on the safe side.

These are AD domain accounts; users do not have admin rights on the workstation.

I have tried stopping the netlogon service, but the user can still login.

Any ideas?

Regards
    Kevan Gibbings

Re: Temporary disable logon on client workstation

Hi,

As a rule Machine based policies (including Startup scripts) are run before a user logs onto the machine and user based policies start applying.
    What exactly are the users experiencing when they log on?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

The script run and the HTMP status page displays, but also the user get the Ctrl-Alt-Del login screen and can login as normal.

It is run from a GPO computer start-up script, the script then runs as a domain administrator.

I thought the script would complete before the login screen (explorer starts) appears.

I have enabled the GPO “Run Logon Script Synchronously” but the logon screen still appears.

I would like to have packaged this application but it contains nearly 100,000 files

Regards
      Kevan

Comment

Sounds like your best bet would to be to build an MSI and deploy it through Group Policy. That way when a machine starts up, after Applying Computer Settings it will display the message "Installing Managed Software <package>". Users will not be able to logon until the installation finishes.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X