Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configure app to run as service in XP

Hi,
    I would like to configure an application I have installed to my XP (SP2) workstation to run as a service. Working from the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137890/ I am trying to follow the instructions but A: it is not working for me and B: I am not quite clear from reading the article and the contained example how to point instsrv and srvany to my target executable.
    I have my admin/rk tools installed to c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
    From the command prompt I navigate to this directory.
    Then I try using the command 'instsrv e:\path\to\my\app.exe srvany" and I get the error message "-The fully qualified path to the .EXE must be given"
    So what am I doing wrong????
    Thanks,
    Dov

Re: Configure app to run as service in XP

Ok, so I figured it out - you have to supply a SERVICE NAME, and then the path to the executable. Be nice if MS made that explicitly clear in the KB article.
    Thanks anyway.

Comment

Re: Configure app to run as service in XP

Originally posted by doxenberg View Post
      Be nice if MS made that explicitly clear in the KB article.
      They did?

At a MS-DOS command prompt(running CMD.EXE), type the following command:

path\INSTSRV.EXE My Service path\SRVANY.EXE

where path is the drive and directory of the Windows NT Resource Kit (i.e., C:\RESKIT) and My Service is the name of the service you are creating.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
      X