software installing error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• software installing error

I have a computer that is giving me issues with installation of sofware.At first the user was unable to install any software or printer drivers so I checked their permissions and they have local admin rights.I tried installing the drivers on the local admin account but I'm unable to install software or drivers either.Anybody have any ideas? This computer isn't on a domain.
    MCITP: EA

MCITP: SA

Re: software installing error

What is the operating system and service pack?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What error are you getting? What is the software you are trying to install? Does the computer meet the requirements for the software? What do the event logs say?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

the laptop is windows xp service pack 2 .The laptop won't allow me to install most applications it tells me I don't have permission but I'm logged in as an a local admin.The main program I'm trying to install is drivers for a HP printer.It will start loading but it will give me an access denied after it gets 1/4 into the install.

Comment

What is the exact wording of the error? Is there anything in the event logs? Please confirm that your account is a member of the Administrators group.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

XP Home or Pro?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are there any GPO's applied?
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

the computer is windows xp pro service pack 2.The computer is not on a domain so there are no GPOs applied to it.Th error shows the path of the install file and says access denied under the file path.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                  Is there anything in the event logs? Please confirm that your account is a member of the Administrators group.
                  Still need to hear back regarding those two questions.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

there is nothing in the event log and the user is a member of the admin group

Comment

Originally posted by texasit View Post
                      there is nothing in the event log and the user is a member of the admin group
                      Have you tried installing the software as the local administrator itself? I'm guessing this is for an all-in-one HP printer. Some time ago we had a similar situation at work... neither users with administrative rights or IT administrators could have the software installed. We found out to be that the application had to be executed at the local "administrator" account.

Just to clarify when you say the system is not on the domain, you mean it is not member of any domain? Right! I will also suggest to obtain the software from the vendor's website. Good luck!
                      CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP

Pursuing: CompTIA Security+, Server 2003

Comment

Originally posted by ncruz1980 View Post
                        Have you tried installing the software as the local administrator itself? I'm guessing this is for an all-in-one HP printer. Some time ago we had a similar situation at work... neither users with administrative rights or IT administrators could have the software installed. We found out to be that the application had to be executed at the local "administrator" account.

Just to clarify when you say the system is not on the domain, you mean it is not member of any domain? Right! I will also suggest to obtain the software from the vendor's website. Good luck!
                        I tried installing using the local admin account but I get the same error.I tried loading drivers from the hp cd I get the error ,and if I download and install the same drivers I get the error too.

Comment

Is the problem specific to these drivers or are you unable to install other software too?
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

I get errors installing any software which is wierd.I scanned his computer for viruses and found 8 different issues that I was able to clear but still can't install anything.

Comment

Originally posted by texasit View Post
                              I get errors installing any software which is wierd.I scanned his computer for viruses and found 8 different issues that I was able to clear but still can't install anything.

What virus solutions are you using? Did you disabled System Restore during the scan? I am not sure if this may be the couse of the problem, but clearing out your machine from possible virus may just solve it.
                              CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP

Pursuing: CompTIA Security+, Server 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X