Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow NIC startup in windows login

hi

as i login to windows xp it takes something about 30-40 seconds to load NIC icons in right corner of desktop .

i couldnt find any relevant error in event viewer .

plz help

Re: Slow NIC startup in windows login

Hi

Please give more inputs.

are you login into xp machine as a domain user or local user. if domain user is there is any startup script or logon script applied for that user?. Have you checked startup programs in "msconfig"
    Regards,
    Venkatesan S

Comment

I can't understand why this is even an issue... why would you possibly need the icon 30 seconds earlier? What are you going to do with that icon within that 30 seconds?

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Is it specifically the network icons that load slowly in the system tray, or all icons?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Venkatesan View Post
          Hi

Please give more inputs.

are you login into xp machine as a domain user or local user. if domain user is there is any startup script or logon script applied for that user?. Have you checked startup programs in "msconfig"

I'm in workgroup environment whitch no startup up nor logon script.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Is it specifically the network icons that load slowly in the system tray, or all icons?

That only the network icons which load slowly , the others (eg; av) are ok .

Comment

Any issues in the event logs?
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                I can't understand why this is even an issue... why would you possibly need the icon 30 seconds earlier? What are you going to do with that icon within that 30 seconds?

cuz in the past i didnt have such a problem . and i dont know a reasonable reason to wait for 30 seconds for nic icon to load !!!

Comment

Do you actually need them there???

In the nic properties you could just deselect 'show icon in notification area when connected' checkbox.
                  Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                  I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                  MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                    Do you actually need them there???

In the nic properties you could just deselect 'show icon in notification area when connected' checkbox.

yes, cuz i want to check it's status repeatedly.

Comment

Update the NIC drivers, disable AV and all other startup programs and see if it still happens.
                      cheers
                      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Ok fair enough.

But if u don't see anything then you would know all is well. It would only show if there was a problem due to the other checkbox in the nic properties
                        'Notify me where this connection has limited or no connectivity'
                        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Does that icon really tell you all that much though, other than whether there is a link? You'll get much more useful information from ipconfig.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post

'Notify me where this connection has limited or no connectivity'

i have set static ip address in that

Comment

Then really all that icon serves to tell you is that your network cable is still connected at both ends, which isn't especially useful. Pull the network cable out and the icon reappears to tell you it's not connected.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X