Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS with Static IP

hi dudes

in official book of 70-270 is written that , "" the ip addresses of the computers on the network MUST be in the 192.168.0.x range , if the network computers cannot use these addresses , ICS does not work properly ""

actually in microsoft kb there is an article explaining the use of static ip in ics
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309642 which is a little confusing for me to configure .

the question is if using the range 192.168.0.x is a MUST, why we have an alternate (namely static ip ) for it ???

i have done ICS for times with static ip and with what ever private ip class i wanted without enterying for DNS Suffix and that really worked.

can anybody explain that to me ???

Thanks
    Last edited by hamed89156; 17th October 2008, 08:14.

Re: ICS with Static IP

I seem to remember this discussion a while ago....
    IIRC, when you enable ICS, it will automatically:
    1) Assign 192.168.0.1 on the LAN-facing network connection
    2) Enable a simple DHCP server dishing out 192.168.0.x addresses
    3) Enable routing from the LAN to the Internet Connection

From memory, it is possible to override these settings but this will require static IPs for all PCs connected to the network. Obviously for home/small office users, who do not understand IPs, routing etc, this is a BAD THING

The whole idea of ICS is to give iD10T proof sharing of internet access -- IMHO it has been overtaken (except in the world of 70-270) by cheap routers.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      The whole idea of ICS is to give iD10T proof sharing of internet access -- IMHO it has been overtaken (except in the world of 70-270) by cheap routers.
      I would agree. While ICS was convenient, a router provides a firewall between your PC and the internet, which is more secure than connecting your PC directly to the net. You can even get 56k dial-up routers these days...
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

@hamed89156

The link you posted says clearly that you can use any static IP addresses (that hasn't been already allocated) for clients but they have to be on the 192.168.0.X range in order for ICS to work. The reason why you'd use a static IP and not a dynamic one dashed out by the symplified DHCP service of the ICS is quite irrelevant. In the article also says that if you use a static IP on that range, the DHCP function will issue an IP address that hasn't been taken because it uses ARP broadcasts to find out whether it is taken or not.
        Unfortunately the IP range for ICS in windows XP is hardcoded and cannot be changed, so you are stuck with 192.168.0.X .
        If however, you have a ME or 98 SE machine then the IP range can be changed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230148/

In this article there is more info on the ICS in WinXP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310563/en-us

@gforceindustries

You could use a firewall on a machine that's got ICS configured as well. That will provide some kind of protection if configured properly.
        In my opinion it has been overtaken by routers for various other reasons, such as ease of implementation by end users, flexibility in IP configuration etc

Thanks
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
          You could use a firewall on a machine that's got ICS configured as well.
          Yes you can, and there are very few situations in which you would want to run a machine without a firewall on it. However, connecting a machine directly to the internet, even if it has a firewall on it, exposes a part of that machine to the internet. No firewall is perfect, but by using a router you avoid exposing your PC to the web at all, unless you choose to forward ports.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

L4ndy ,,,,,in practice we've got sth diffrerent...

you can use ics in whatever private ip range(Class A,B or C) u want. (That not just for the range 192.168.0.X)

u can test it right now...and plz give us the result.

Comment

Originally posted by hamed89156 View Post
              you can use ics in whatever private ip range(Class A,B or C) u want. (That not just for the range 192.168.0.X)
              Note this would over-ride all of the "automatic" settings, particularly the mini-DHCP server. For each client (plus the ICS computer) you would need to:
              Configure IP settings
              Add Hosts File entry on the ICS computer

Why on earth would you want to do this for a very small LAN?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post

Why on earth would you want to do this for a very small LAN?

because of the previous LAN infrastructure (including IPs) which shouldn't be changed because of an ICS.

Comment

Maybe worth looking into getting a router to handle internet connection sharing. It's much more managable if you have a DHCP server worrying about IP addressing, and a dedicated gateway means that if a computer fails or gets switched off it only affects one user.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by hamed89156 View Post
                    L4ndy ,,,,,in practice we've got sth diffrerent...

u can test it right now...and plz give us the result.
                    I don't think that's possible in windows XP.
                    As Ossian explained before, when you enable ICS on a XP machine, the Lan facing Network adaptor is configured with the 192.168.0.1 Ip address and is the gateway for all the ICS clients. As far as I am aware that IP is HARDCODED for XP (Unless some new information come to light). Now, if you configure your clients with the IP address from a different subnet than 192.168.0.0/24 then you'll disable some functions of ICS, which are the main reason for having ICS in the first place.
                    Now, for argument sake lets say you configure a client with an IP of 10.10.1.10.
                    You are claiming that the clients are using ICS succesfully configured that way.
                    If IP communication is anything to go by then this shouldn't be possible.
                    One scenario where you could be using a different class IP would be if you manually configure Lan facing NIC of the gateway machine and the use the IP forwarding function of XP. - http://www.home-network-help.com/ip-forwarding.html.

Thanks
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                    X