XP home activation/key problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP home activation/key problem

This is a fresh install of XP home. The issue that I am having is that the CD key (from unattend.txt) will not work with the install. Currently, I am running the key from another pc. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but windows activation/validation will not accept this install as legit (go figure). All of my attempts to change the key to what it is supposed to be have failed. This includes creating a vbs script, modifying the registry and running "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a", and some microsoft download hell-bent on making the key legit. Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Re: XP home activation/key problem

Just so I understand the situation correctly, you have XP Home on Machine A, and are using machine A's serial key to install Home on machine B, which you have a valid licence for? If that's the case, why can't you install it using the serial key *for* machine B?

Are the 2 copies of XP Home retail or OEM? If OEM, *which* OEM? Is machine A running XP Home, Pro, MCE?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If they are both legit and you are just trying to change the key on one of them just ring the activation line and get them to walk through it. They are usually good at that.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The machine A and B example is correct. The reason I'm not running the key that is for machine B is because it rejects it saying that it's an invalid key (though it's the one specified on the install disk). I believe they are both OEM. Machine A is XP Pro.

Yea, I was going to call the support center, but they wanted to charge like $59 for the call. Perhaps there is another number that doesn't charge?

Edit: To specify a bit more: Machine A came with XP Pro (I have no cd); Machine B, I have the cd for.
        Last edited by Casual_Sins; 16th October 2008, 19:37. Reason: For the sake of clarity.

Comment

You can't use an XP Pro key to install XP Home. They're different produts.

If the computers came preinstalled with XP, then they're both OEM licences. Chances are that if you don't have a CD for one of them, then there's a hidden restore partition on the hard drive.

In any case, you don't need to phone tech support, you need to phone the 'activation hotline'. Which country are you from, I'll see if I can find you the number. If you're in the UK, it's 0870 6010100.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Normally you can go through the manual activation and the phone # will pop up there.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Usually, yes, but I'm guessing in this case that hasn't happened for some reason.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

I realize it shouldn't work (it was a longshot to begin with), but the key for XP Pro did install XP home. If I modify the registry and run %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a I can get the activation by phone thing to come up. Just in case though, I'm in the USA. I'll attempt to phone them and post my results later on.

(Thanks for your help everyone )

Comment

I take it you mean that you deleted the one key that allows the registration to come up again?
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X