Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting information from registry (Win 98)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting information from registry (Win 98)

Hi. Firstly, I apologised that I need help in Win 98 and not XP or 2000. I have an old PC (PII) using Win 98 that come with a pre-installed Win 98. This PC is used by my kid and recently the HD crashed. I hooked up its HD to the other PC that I have (Win XP) and can see all the files and a directory known as CABS. This directory has the full Win98 installation files. I copied it and all the other files to my XP, reformatted the HD and boot up the old PC with the Win98 bootdisk, system transferred the WIn98 boot files to the reformatted HD.

I then hooked up the old HD to my XP and transfer the CABS directory with its files into the old HD. I then tried to reinstall the Win98 with file in the CABS directory and it worked fine.

At a stage of installation, the process seek for the product key. I do not remember the key and I do not record it down anywhere. I knew I could retrieve the product key from system.dat or the registry file and I do have the registry file among the files that I have copied into my XP earlier. However, I do not know how to get this information as the registy file is not a text file.
    Please help.

Re: Getting information from registry (Win 9

If it came with an OEM installation of Windows 98, the serial key will be on the licence sticker attached to the case. If there isn't a sticker, then you're not licenced.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Not sure OEM always had the sticker on the case, I'm sure some were stuck on the books too sometimes, I may be wrong though.

This may be of use:
      http://www.microcenter.com/random_ac...peak_geek.html
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Actually you may be right there, 98SE certainly had the 'modern' style of licence sticker. My original Windows 98 had the licence certificate on the front of the manual.

EDIT: Judging by the dinosaurs under my desk, licence certificate on the cover of the manual was for retail copies, OEM original 98s still included a sticker to attach to the case. This was first introduced with Windows 98 I believe as I remember Windows 95 OEM licences still had the licence sticker on the manual.

So while you may be able to retrieve your serial key following the directions at Random Access, don't forget to make sure it's a key you have a licence for.
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 14th October 2008, 22:58. Reason: Correction
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Blimey, am I remembering Win95... I feel old..
          I agree with gforce thought, make sure it is legitimate though.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
            Blimey, am I remembering Win95... I feel old..
            I'm only 22... I started geeking from a very early age

Zomg, DOS on 64kb! Even better, the days when Windows was but an app. Good times.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
            X