X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing problem

Hello Frnds,
    I am facing a problem So any help will b appreciated
    We have network consisting of 100 pc and Xp have been installed on all the PCs I have also istalled a printer on of the PC which has been shared on the network
    Already 10 users are accessing these printer Now my prolem is that when i am trying connect to printer with rest of the pc it gives me the error:
    "No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are alredy as many as connections as the computer can accept"

So what should i do to connect rest of the PC's

Re: Sharing problem

XP is a client operating system. It can only accept 10 inbound connections. You need to either share the printer from a server or setup the printer with an IP address and print that way
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

But how do i setup printer with an IP address

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
        XP is a client operating system. It can only accept 10 inbound connections. You need to either share the printer from a server or setup the printer with an IP address and print that way
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882
        Plz bro can u give me the steps how do i assign Ip to a printer I have HPlaserjet 2015

Comment

Does it have a network interface card fitted? If so, you need to refer to the manual for your printer.

However; with 100 users/PCs I think you need to seriously consider buying at least one server... and that means you need to do research into the alternatives; Linux Server or Windows Server are your two most viable and appropriate choices.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by samirshaikh12 View Post
            Plz bro can u give me the steps how do i assign Ip to a printer I have HPlaserjet 2015
            Stonelaughter is correct regarding the server. You would find it beneficial.
            In regards to the printer HP have it listed as an optional extra I believe.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...2-1845554.html
            Connectivity, std.
            Hi-Speed USB 2.0 compatible port
            Connectivity, opt.
            HP Jetdirect 175x External Fast Ethernet Print Server, HP Jetdirect en3700 Fast Ethernet Print Server, HP Jetdirect ew2400 802.11g Wireless Print Server
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

If you can't afford a server, look for a print server device. They allow the printer to be connected directly to the network (like a printer network card) but also handle printer sharing duties. HP makes them for sure, and other 3rd parties (Linksys) make them as well.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There is one thing to consider: a server-based solution is better than setting an IP for the printer (with an internal NIC or an external device), because a server can deal with spooling the print jobs (neither a NIC nor a printer server device can do that).
                When we talk 100 users, with an IP-based printer, one has to define a TCP/IP port in every XP client and to configure a local printer to use it. That means that the XP itself does the spooling. In this scenario, if one user sends to the printer a rather large job, all the other clients that need to print will have problems to do it... Depending on the time that passes, the printing job may fail and the printer may be flagged as not available.
                In the server-based scenario, however, the server itself does the spooling of the printing jobs. From the client's point of view, it's a "fire-and-forget" task. Even if there is a large job to be processed, the server will see to it that other waiting jobs will be printed as well.
                In my organization, I use IP-based printing only on there are a small number of users (3, max. 4) and their printing needs are not that high. Otherwise, I define that printer on the printers' server.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Thank you frndz for your help and support

Comment

Working...
                  X