Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor password proceedures

Hello folks,

I am an idiot. Just got a new Levovo laptop and blew my password entry. Don't know what I did, but the computer does not recognize the 3 letter p/w I thought I entered.

The laptop has a fingerprint reader and I did set that up correctly. Twice I have been able to get into Win XP just using that. Don't know why really, but sometimes I'm not asked for the password if I swipe my finger.

While I was in, I set up another admin account without a password so now I can get into the computer but I want to use the original log on if possible so that I don't have to change all the setting again.

There is probably a way now that I have access to the registry.

Any help would be appriciated.

Dag

Re: Poor password proceedures

Reset the password using the admin account you have access to.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Once I was logged in, on each account, I tried to change the original password but you must know the original to change it.

Maybe there is another way but I need detailed instructions.

Thanks,

Comment

Did you try to reset account A while logged into account B?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by dag View Post
          Once I was logged in, on each account, I tried to change the original password but you must know the original to change it.

Maybe there is another way but I need detailed instructions.

Thanks,

Right-click "My Computer" - select "Manage".

Expand "System Tools". Expand "Local Users and Groups". Click on "Users".

In the right-hand pane, right-click the name of the user you want to reset, and select "Reset Password".

*** Note that if you do this and the user has encrypted files, access to them will be lost ***

If you get a warning, click "Yes". Type the new password twice, and click "OK". Click "OK".

It is done.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            *** Note that if you do this and the user has encrypted files, access to them will be lost ***
            Huh???? by just resetting a password?
            I can't imagine, because you aren't creating a new profile.
            The certificates are stored in the profile and not against a password...

Otherwise do you have a source for that??
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

StoneLaughter's post worked. Thanks.

Only one weird problem. After I switched users, back to the original with the new password, the screen went blank. It did that before after I switched users. Don't know what get the screen back on again but it involved several restarts and pressing the 'ThinkVantage' key.

I'm sure this is not the usual problem for this forum but who knows, maybe someone has the fix for this problem.

Thanks again,

Dag

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                Huh???? by just resetting a password?
                I can't imagine, because you aren't creating a new profile.
                The certificates are stored in the profile and not against a password...

Otherwise do you have a source for that??
                What about the dialog box which comes up when you reset a password on a local machine?? LOL

The gist is (I'll try and find the article) the user can change their OWN password without any problem. If their password is RESET, however, by an admin, they will lose access to their files (unless the recovery agent is used).

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Here you go...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290260/en-us

Tom

Comment

Oh my.....
                    You are Resetting the password for user name. If you do this, user name will lose all EFS-encrypted files, personal certificate, and stored passwords for Web sites or network resources.

To avoid data loss because of a password reset in the future, create a password recovery disk to reset the password and have users change their own password while logged in.
                    That isn't really a good thing from XP.
                    And about the dialog box... errr I never read it
                    And usually I work in a domain environment. At home I use OSX
                    Last edited by Dumber; 29th September 2008, 21:52.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

*chuckle*

Thanks for the rep points...

Tom

Comment

You're welcome
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                        X