File system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File system

I am currentl at working been charged with the creation of a new file system for the company and as such am creating it in a networked drive.

what i want to know is when you create a folder is there any way that you can lock that folder so that it does not get deleted?
    If that is possible i would really like to know!?!

Thanks

Re: File system

Yes you can stop it from being deleted. However before you can be informed how that is done we will need to know something about your network
    Is it P2P or and AD Domain?
    How many Users, Departments etc do you have?
    What sort of access do you wnat the uses to have to the files and folders? eg, Accounts department needs access to all files (limited access to some) but Sales department need access only to sales related data and Management need access to everything.

You question is a very complex one and you need to plan out who needs access to what. It may be more efficient to create different OUs and assign appropriate permissions that way. If you are a small organisation then creating SHARES that the only certain users can have access too with certain files they can read and others they can modify.

This Train Signal Lab is a very good way to quickly get a handle on what can be done and the different options available. http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=6
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Is the drive NTFS or FAT formatted?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Yes you can stop it from being deleted. However before you can be informed how that is done we will need to know something about your network
        Is it P2P or and AD Domain?
        How many Users, Departments etc do you have?
        What sort of access do you wnat the uses to have to the files and folders? eg, Accounts department needs access to all files (limited access to some) but Sales department need access only to sales related data and Management need access to everything.

You question is a very complex one and you need to plan out who needs access to what. It may be more efficient to create different OUs and assign appropriate permissions that way. If you are a small organisation then creating SHARES that the only certain users can have access too with certain files they can read and others they can modify.

This Train Signal Lab is a very good way to quickly get a handle on what can be done and the different options available. http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=6

hi i know, we are on a AD domain, and there is about 35- 40 people on the system.
        I have been writing permissions for the folders and so on that front i am fine however all i really want to know is once i have created a folder how do i make it so that all users cannot delete them?

Comment

Remove the Delete permission from the folder.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Remove the Delete permission from the folder.
            Thanks yeh i was having a play and figured it out, however i am having a problem getting some of the permissions correct, i know that they are fairly self explanatory however when trying to make it so that the users have no access, i the administrator have no access and also seeing as i am making a finance folder whenever the finance people go on to make a new folder they cant even though there user set is allowed.

Is it a good idea to make permissions for all people seperately or can the groups work if the main user permission set be removed in order for it to function the way i want?

Sorry i know that is a mouthful

Comment

Working...
            X