Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked Down XP Power Down Woes

Hi,

I have secured work laptop (and trust me it is secure) configured with XP Pro upon which I cannot install anything or edit registry settings etc. In essence, given that it canít do wireless and wonít log in unless there is a hard network connection (no password caching) it is nothing but a portable terminal service client or, as I like to call it, an iBrick

The problem is that it has something like a 10 minute power down setting and when it does all its encrypted VPNís go down the p[an leaving me no choice but to hard reset and go through all the painful logon procedures again. This means that I cannot walk away from the machine for more than 5 or 10 mins and am constantly running back to it to waggle the mouse and reset the counter.

What I want to know is does anyone know any sneaky way to alter power down timeouts or an application that doesnít need to be installed (a complete self-contained executable) ... any help appreciated.

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Locked Down XP Power Down Woes

Here's a hat tip to your IT dept.
    having said that you could just ask them to modify, without circumventing any secuity policy.

or you could install an FP device
    Last edited by Lior_S; 19th September 2008, 16:28. Reason: oops
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
      having said that you could just ask them to modify, with circumventing any secuity policy.)
      You meant "without", right?
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
        You meant "without", right?
        yes.

Corrected above.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
          Here's a hat tip to your IT dept.
          having said that you could just ask them to modify, without circumventing any secuity policy.

or you could install an FP device
          Thanks Lior ... whilst I can't do that I could potentially build something that does the same kind of thing

Kyu
          J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
          The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

I think something like this is what your looking for.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1106/

setting 0 - Home/Office desktop will keep it on all the time but turn off the screen after 15 mins or so.
            Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
            I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
            MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

uk_network: That's a link to info on a registry key. He can't edit registry keys.

Kyu: Have you mentioned this problem to your IT staff?
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

oh sorry my bad didn't read it properly.
                Just a quick q: how do u prevent end users from editing the registry?
                Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                  Just a quick q: how do u prevent end users from editing the registry?
                  I think there is a GP settingwhere you can prevent that... Also, when slipstreaming an op system to a CD, there is a setting where you can prevent the machine from being able to do it... (nLite)

(I could be wrong... I have done a lot of reading in the past month or so and don't always remember what I got from where!)

Comment

I think there is a reason why the machine is locked down.
                    Contact your IT department.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

There is a group policy setting to disable access to regedit.exe. To remove it you can click on Start->Run and paste the following code in it and press OK.
                      Code:
                      REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
                      Last edited by lewispb; 30th September 2008, 17:29. Reason: Remove space in code

Comment

Originally posted by lewispb View Post
                        There is a group policy setting to disable access to regedit.exe. To remove it you can click on Start->Run and paste the following code in it and press OK.
                        Code:
                        REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
                        Firstly, it has been established that the user cannot edit his own registry because of access restrictions so I don't think that snippet would work in this scenario. It would be rather funny if an admin disabled access to regedit but didn't disable access to the registry. Kinda like putting a locked door in an open field.

Nonetheless, have we all gone balmy and forgotten that this user, however innocent his goals may be, is still trying to circumvent the security policy of his company? Shall we let this thread fade into history or am I being a pedant?
                        Last edited by Nonapeptide; 30th September 2008, 18:43.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Well you never know exactly what access is restricted so that is always worth a try.

And hey, imagine it was yourself trying to use your laptop but couldn't. You'd be frustrated?

Comment

Well you never know exactly what access is restricted so that is always worth a try.
                            The original poster said that he couldn't edit the registry. Of course, I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from offering a suggestion. Yes, your suggestion had merit in and of itself, but it's a bit like telling a bank robber how to unjam his gun. Offering suggestions on fixing a firearm might be good in certain situations... but not in that one. (NOTE: I'm not comparing the original poster to a bank robber. It was just an analogy!)

And hey, imagine it was yourself trying to use your laptop but couldn't. You'd be frustrated?
                            Impossible. I'd be working in the IT department. Can you say "Uber Admin"?
                            Wesley David
                            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

But is it the user's own laptop or is it a company supplied one. If the first then to use it, when away from his place of employment, log onto the local machine. If the laptop belong to the employer. (that's it, no more needs to be said)
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X