when i logon to windows XP it immediately logs me back out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when i logon to windows XP it immediately logs me back out

hello, my name is tom and im currently running XP home on a dell XPS 400. I am able to get to the windows login screen, where i would usually click my name, "Owner", and log in. When I try to log in it flashes my background for a few seconds then says saving your setting and logs me back off. I have tried booting to safe mode the same problem occurs. Ive read about editing the registry with various boot disks, but i cant seem to find one that works. I am also trying to avoid reformating if at all possible.

Ive also tried putting these commands into a prompt:
    D: [ENTER]
    CD I386 [ENTER]
    EXPAND USERINIT.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 [ENTER]]

AND

Copy Userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? thanks so much in advance and i apologize if this was posted in the wrong forum.
    Last edited by tomcat345; 4th September 2008, 01:56.

Re: when i logon to windows XP it immediately logs me back out

Sounds like a corrupt profile.

You could try logging on as another user with administrator rights backing up any data you have in your user profile i.e favorites, desktop etc found in C:\documents and settings\Owner. Then deleting your user profile > Control Panel > User accounts. Reboot then delete the c:\documents and settings\Owner folder and the recreate your user profile in user accounts. Beware though you will have to reconfigure application like outlook etc.

If there are no other suitable user accounts try starting in safe mode and do this using the administrator account.

Comment

Also check for virus and spyware infections.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

tomcat345, what made you suspect the problem is related to spyware?
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893

Before copying Userinit.exe with the name wsaupdater.exe you need to change directory to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder first.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

when i copied userinit under the name wsaupdater it said 1 file copied, which i believe was supposed to show that the problem was fixed, but then i still couldnt login, I have also tried logging in on accounts with admin rights but it also wont let me. Are there programs that can check for viruses/spyware that can boot from CD? if so does anyone know a good one? I thought the problem might have something to do with spyware because I ran a removal tool and it found a few problems, so i clicked fix problems and thats where this all started. I also cant access safemode.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Be sure the version of the USERINIT.EX_ you expanded to the system32 folder is the updated version matching the Windows Service Pack level and language that currently is installed on the computer!

The copy command should be (when Windows is installed on c: ),
            copy C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Userinit.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wsaupdater.exe
            (This will only help If wsaupdater.exe is the file that causes the logon issue, but you don't know that for sure?)

Is your computer in a network? Maybe it is possible to remotely edit the registry (probably not, since Userinit does also establish the network connection, but we can try):
            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon > Userinit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe, (including the comma at the end)

\Rems
            Last edited by Rems; 5th September 2008, 11:45.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Could it be a batch file, or something in Startup kicking the log off off? I would try logging in as another user and see if the problem persists.

Comment

Tom:

You can try a repair install (not the repair console) if you have original media rather than the scorched earth disks most vendors provide, if at all.

Check out this site if that's your fancy:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I've had good luck with this when I upgrade motherboards, etc. in keeping my complex installations whole. Your mileage may vary.

Your machine's behavior reminds me of a Windows Mount Manager problem resulting from rearranging your partitions using Ghost or Acronis images where what the registry has recorded as C: is not there and the system boots to the correct partition but looks for all the files in whatever now maps as C:

You're obviously more than a typical XP Home user. You didn't muck with the disks / partitions -- installing new, bigger hard drives -- did you?
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I am not sure that wsaupdater.exe is this issue, but from what ive read online it seems like it might be. My computer isnt on a network and i didnt mess with the registry prior to this.

thanks for all the answers so far, im just sorry that none of them have worked, im thinking about bringing it to a computer shop and seeing what they can do...i really dont know how to fix this problem.

EDIT:
                  The repair install also wasnt an option when i followed the directions on that website.
                  I also ran Kaspersky virusscan and it came up with many issues, I deleted or disenfected (whichever it recommended) the files, but two kept coming up after i had aldready dont that, These two were called

Virus.Win32.Trats.d located in /discs/c:/windows/system32.ddayw.exe
                  Not-a-virus:adware.win32.Virtumonde.ahbf located in the same place.
                  Last edited by tomcat345; 6th September 2008, 16:30.

Comment

Working...
                  X