Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline files not always there offline

Hello,

Got this strange problem where a laptop users offline files are not always available offline. I'll test it in the office i.e. shut the pc down, disconnect network, boot up, log on and the files are there. User goes home, connects to there wireless at home, logs on and the offline files are not there. XP is aware that it is not connected to the network but files are not displayed. Any ideas?

XP Pro SP2

Ben

Re: Offline files not always there offline

This has got me puzzled. Deleted and re-synced all offline file cache. Took laptop out of office and to another internet connection to test. All off-line files are there and OK. User takes laptop home and places on his wireless network. No offline files available!

Comment

How did the user logon at the out of office location?
      How did they logon at home?
      Was the same user account used?
      Is the laptop a member of a Domain or a Workgroup?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The laptop is part of a domain and user simply logs on using there domain username and then connects to a wireless network at home. We then connect a IPsec VPN using Juniper Netscreen. There is a GP rule set to prevent XP Client from trying to sync over the VPN so the laptop is always aware it is offline whether on the VPN or not. There is something about his wireless network at home. The network is on a different IP range to the office, there are no devices on the network with the same name as the server. Anywhere else there is no problem.

Comment

When they logon to the laptop at home are they logging onto the Domain or the local machine?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

He logs into the domain profile so they have there home share (h: drive) cached offline hence offline files. Since then I have tried removing Endpoint Protection 11 as I have heard it contains some network profiling features similar to in Vista. No good. I have now uninstalled and re-install the wireless drivers to clear all the wireless associations to see if that works. Waiting a responce. I have also given him a cable to try plugging into his wireless router instead to see if that make a difference.

The only other thing I can think of is we recently went to a later version of the Juniper Netscreen VPN client. I may try backdating to the earlier version.

Somehow the laptop thinks his home network is the office network?

Thanks for your help on this mate! It's got me totally puzzled and it would be boss's machine!
            Last edited by Rednet; 5th September 2008, 00:59.

Comment

The resolution to this problem is to uninstall the wireless network device from device manager and re-install. This removes all wireless network associations and resets the network components like TCPIP, Client for Microsoft networks etc.

Comment

Thanks for posting back with your solution.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier as I might have been able to save you the trouble. I believe re-initializing the cache would have cleared up the issues.

To re-initialize the Offline Files cache:

- Folder Options -> Offline Files tab
                - Hold down <Crtl> + <Shift> when you click the Delete Files button

Note: re-initializing the cache requires a reboot
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                X