Setting up RAID 1 on windows XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up RAID 1 on windows XP

Guys, I have a HP Wrstn xw 6400 with 160 GB SATA hard drive, for fault tolerance I want to setup mirroring on this PC which has windows XP on it,
    Is it possible to do it? the whole 160GB HDD is C:\ drive and its a Basic disk,
    if it is possible can some body tell me how to do it?

Regards,

BM

Re: Setting up RAID 1 on windows XP

You'll need another 160Gb Disk for a start... after that it depends if you want to use Windows based software mirroring (utterly pointless**) or hardware based mirroring - if the latter then you will need additional hardware unless the BIOS and SATA controller support it directly.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

** This would be utterly pointless as it gives you nothing; if the "Live" disk crashed, Windows would likely not continue... plus there's an overhead on performance which will cause Windows to be slower. The whole idea of mirroring is to facilitate continued operation in the event of a hard disk failure; thus preserving business operations.

From the "Home PC" point of view it seems a waste of a 160Gb hard disk - you're better off running regular backups of your data and when/if the disk fails, replacing it and restoring your backup.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Note also that Windows XP will only support spanning and striping (Raid 0), on dynamic disks.

All the "useful" RAID levels (1 & 5) via Windows require a server edition

You could see if your MoBo has built in Hardware RAID (many do) and configure it there. As already said, you will need a second drive of equal or greater capacity than your current one.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Stonelaughter, yes I want to do Software based mirroring,
          See what is happening is that we have Tech Writer who works with very large Adobe frameworks file on the network and because these files references other image on the network it makes them slow to access even though we have 1GB line,
          So for a solution I proposed, he work locally from his PC and then copy the finished file on the server periodically, but to prevent his loss of data in case of HDD failure I would like a XP based mirroring, but don't know how to do it,

If you know how to do it can you please let me know?

Also why it is pointless to set it up? All I want is protection for Data, it does not matter if the the live disk crashes and windows can not fall over to the mirrored disk, as long as I can retrieve the data that is mirrored I am happy, I can easily replace the bad drive then and reinstall the XP,

Waiting for your reply,

Thanks

Comment

Yantra:

Know your machine.

Per http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmi...ons/xw6400.pdf this workstation is capable of RAID1:

"Integrated quad channel SATA 3 Gb/s controller with RAID 0 or 1 capability"

I'm not familiar with the Intel 5000X chipset so I can't comment on whether this is an ICHnR set up or ???

There seems sufficient chatter on: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hp+xw6400+raid

to warrant further investigation.

Do let us know what you find.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Rick,

Indeed this one has RAID capability, 0 1 and 5, and infact I had already order two more similar HDD for this workstation, only glitch is that you will loose all the data on the exiting system drive, but I will ghost it before I setup raid 5, I will post the result once I am done,

Thanks for the info Rick, appreciated,

Yantra

Comment

Originally posted by Yantra View Post
                Indeed this one has RAID capability, 0 1 and 5
                The built-in controller has only RAID0 and RAID1 apabilities! No RAID5!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

OK, little late, but I was able to setup RAID 1 on the machine successfully, eventhough the machine has RAID 5 and 1 capability there is not enough slot to hold three HDD so I end up doing 5, it is now working good, and I guess RAID 1 will give good read speed too.

Comment

Sorinso, sorry I was did not clarify your comment, machine controller bios does have raid 5 option available, but machine itself does not have physical form factor to hold three drives,

Thanks anyway

cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X