Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Pro won't install

Hello all

I am looking for a little help on installing Windows XP Pro after installing new mb and cpu. I set teh boot sequence for the cd and booted off it, Windows setup starts and i get all the way past teh user's agreement and it says system needs to reboot, so during reboot i go into cmos and change boot sequence to the hard drive, but instead of booting off the hard drive and continuing with installation it's starts the setup all over again, it's like a loop so to speak. The new mb is a Chaintech S1689, hard drive is 160 gb Hitachi. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Are you running the HDD off a RAID controller?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Not that i know of

Not that i know of. Is there a way to check?

Comment

How did you partition the drive? Can you try a different HD?
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Floppy

I used the formating tool on the floppy that came with the HDD. The HDD was used on the old motherboard and had no problems. Did a mid level format before botting up with wiind XP cd.

Comment

Try creating a small partition for the OS (Say 20gb) and see if that works.
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Actually already tried that, but still does same thing. It's got me stumped.
              Sometimes when starting over it says there is already an OS on the HDD, but still won't continue install.

Comment

why do you try to change the boot sequence?
                every time i install a system i just leave the cd in and don't press a key when it comes with the message "press any key to start from CD".
                the system then automatically continues with the installation
                Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

I only did that because doing it the way you explained doesn't work. So i thought maybe booting off HDD would continue with the install process. But the does the same thing, gets to the point where it says windows needs to reboot, then when it does it comes up with, "Hit F1 to continue, Hit Del to enter setup." So i hit F1 to continue windows setup and it starts back from the beginning.

Comment

then we are back to how the drive is partioned - the question has been asked before.
                    is it basic or dynamic?
                    how is it partitioned?
                    which partition is active?
                    any hidden partition on it?
                    what happens if you delete all partitions, run fdisk /mbr, create one primary partition of like 5 GB for the OS, leave the rest unallocated and install the OS on that primary partition?

Comment

Btw, thanks for helping Chris , really appreciate it. I ran the HDD program that came with the HDD and completely wiped the HDD, there is no hidden partition. I made a 20 gb partition and made it the main partition for the OS. Rebooted with CD, widnows setup starts, says checking system etc.., then it asks where this install will be installed and i select the 20 gb partition, it starts copying files, gets to the user agreement and not far past that is says it needs to reboot. It reboots and says hit F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup. I hit F1 to continue, then it comes up with windows setup and starts process all over, copying files, user agreement, then needs to reboot etc..

Comment

This motherboard supports IDE and SATA. Which HDD type are you using?
                        There is also a RAID option available as well. If RAID is enabled and you don't install a RAID driver (press F6 when prompted) this can cause you exact same results. I think you may need to carefully read the manual and then check your BIOS settings.

Assuming a RAID setup.
                        When you boot off the XP CD, the HDD will be detected and the setup files copied to it. When the reboot occurs, XP won't have the RAID drivers installed and so can't see the HDD and you end up going round in circles.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

i agree. since you've already done what you could possibly do to the disk softwarewise, it must be something with the way it is configured hardwarewise and maybe missing drivers as biggles suggests.

if you google a little you will find that you r not alone with this problem. however, in most posts there is no solution to the problem. the post from "mister2" in this one here is the closest thing.

http://castlecops.com/postt104544.html

Comment

OK i will check and see if RAID is maybe what's doing it. Thanks alot for the help, i will let you know how it turns out-)

Comment

Ok, i think it's time to give up. Went into bios and there is nothing for sata except "SATA Subclass Code" Which has two choices, "Other Mass Storage" which it is set to, and "IDE Controller" I also went into the RAID bios and there is no RAID array, and no place to disable RAID. It's a IDE HDD btw. I double checked cable connections, and it's doing the same thing, will not recognize the HDD after rebooting during XP Pro installation. This HDD worked fine on the old motherboard. From different sites i've read about this problem on this MB, but doesn't seem to be any resolutions.

Comment

Working...
                              X