Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user unable to access personal docs without admin rights

Hello all,
    I wonder if anyone has seen this problem. We've run into problems as of late with one of the client organizations we support. When we migrate a user to a new machine, if they have had admin rights on the old machine, and they don't have it on the new, they get an error message when attempting to open their docs, or for that matter, even opening their IE favorites. They get an error message telling them they don't have sufficient privileges.

Why not just give them admin rights? Well it was decided that too many people had been given such by simply asking for them, and the new policy is that if they need admin rights, they need to make a formal request explaining their need for elevated privileges. I don't argue with this policy; it makes sense. But there is something in the security settings of the images used to build these new machines that is causing this problem, apparently. They shouldn't need admin privileges to access their own personal data.

Does anyone have a clue as to what can be causing this issue and how it might be resolved?

Thanks, Gordon

Re: user unable to access personal docs with admin rights

oh, that subject should have been "user unable to access personal docs without admin rights"

Comment

How are you migrating them to the new machine?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

title changes as requested.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          How are you migrating them to the new machine?
          I usually copy the profiles to a folder on the new machine in the admin profile. I call this folder "migration." I then have the user or users log in to create profiles. After syncing their outlook, I log back in as an admin, and copy their documents, IE favorites, cookies, archive.pst, files and folders on their old desktops to the corresponding locations in their profiles on the new computers.

Typically, if they have had admin privileges on the old machine and don't have it on the new, the will experience this issue of being unable to access their documents. The reason they may not have admin privileges on the new machines may be that they were not supposed to have them in the first place, or the paperwork to approve the elevated privileges has not been processed yet. The exact message is "...cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges." I am thinking that this problem is at the domain level rather than at the workstation end. At any rate, the server side people are working on this I am told, and haven't yet found a resolution.

Hope this gives enough info. Oh yes, this organization is running XP SP2 like practically every other large enterprise on the planet.

Comment

Working...
          X