Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I lost my registration key for Windows XP is there anyway I can retrieve it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lost my registration key for Windows XP is there anyway I can retrieve it?

Hello

I need some assitance...I got a computer given to me for my kids and it has windows 98...I attempted to reformat and update it with my Windows XP that I have for my laptop and my desktop but I cannot find my registration key for my instalation CD...is there anyway that I can retrieve this so that I can use thw CD or do I have to waste money and buy a new one?

Thanks so much for anyones assistance!!!!!

Re: I lost my registration key for Windows XP is there anyway I can retrieve it?

As I understand your post you use the same key for your laptop and your desktop? This would be against the licensing agreement that comes with Windows - and you would be compounding your error by installing the same key on yet another machine.

Microsoft Windows XP is licensed for use on ONE PC. If you need to install it on another PC (except as per certain license agreements which allow NON-CONCURRENT use on two PCs, one at work and one at home) you need to buy Windows XP again. I agree that that is going to be very difficult at the moment without buying a PC; however that does not give you the right to install XP in contravention of the licensing agreement YOU made with Microsoft when you opened the shrink-wrap and used the software.
    Last edited by Stonelaughter; 20th August 2008, 17:45. Reason: Because.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: I lost my registration key for Windows XP is there anyway I can retrieve it?

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      (except as per certain license agreements which allow NON-CONCURRENT use on two PCs, one at work and one at home)
      That is called "home use rights", except i have only ever seen that for the office suite...
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Don't forget that XP calls home periodically w/ an encoded, non-specific, listing of your hardware, so they'll know instantly that your laptop isn't your desktop. Also, the OEM keys are most likely not compatible with the other system's hardware.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thnks so much for this info...now I see why its not as easy as I thought to retrieve this key because really I am not suposed to.....I am not very computer smart...Now I am aware...So I do have to buy another one for the kids...Thanks so much for all your help!!!!!!

Comment

Personally, even if you coud just go out and buy a legal XP at the computer store, which you can't anymore, it's not going to run very well on a computer old enough to have come with Windows 98, no matter how much memory you add to it. The processor is not up to snuff for XP. Yes, I'd say you are better off moving on to a new computer. The machine would probably handle Windows 2000 decently enough, perhaps with a memory upgrade. But although it W2k is supported for a couple more years by Microsoft, they stopped selling new licences years ago, so you are out of luck there. (Microsoft never marketed that OS to home users unfortunately -- I think it's the best OS they ever came up with.) If you could find someone who has a retail -- not an OEM -- licence that they are not using, and transferred it to you, that is legal, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, anyone -- maybe it isn't legal to transfer a license on this now that it is in the end of life phase. But, regardless, you'll be a lot happier with a new machine then trying to squeeze more life out of this relic, so I'd say go for it.
            Gordon

Comment

My retail XP says 1-2 CPUs right on the sticker. I also have XP Pro Educational, that also says 1-2 CPU. I've had to call in an register over the phone before, like when I've updated my 2 desktop computers and when I decided to put XP on my laptop, and I've even asked, "does 2 CPUs mean two computers or up to 2 processors on the same computer?" and they have always indicated it was ok to use for two computers. Having said that, I'm not certain they've always understood the question Both copies are "Retail" not OEM.

There is also a way to retrieve a legal XP key. I couldn't tell you where to find it but I had to use it for a PC that had a different key (A VLK, I think installed by a "fixit" guy) on it than what it was supposed to and I replaced the bogus one with the one from the sticker. If it's a legal copy, call Microsoft; they helped me download the tool and get it properly licensed.

If this is an OEM license, it is not good for more than one pc. The OEM license "dies with the PC". This all becomes a bit sticky when you continually upgrade your pc until there are no original components...
              Last edited by wyrmwood; 28th August 2008, 23:24.

Comment

1-2 CPU means just that - it can be used on computer systems which have either one CPU or two CPUs. It cannot be concurrently installed on more than one PC.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by wyrmwood
                  The OEM license "dies with the PC".
                  Just to clarify on the above quote, the OEM licence is tied to the motherboard so when that dies so does the OEM licence. However if you HDD, video, sound card dies you can replace it and still used the OEM licence. A retail version can be reinstalled if you have to replace the motherboard.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X