Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP On SATA Laptop

Hi,

I am trying to install Windows XP on a laptop with a SATA drive (it originally came with Vista but neither I nor my daughter are fans so we decided to downgrade) but XP is unable to see the disk drive.

On the theory that PC hardware based Apple systems required XP SP2 I guessed that a higher service pack might provide the drivers at install but my SP1 XP Pro install (slipstreamed to SP3) still can't see the disc.

The laptop is an Advent 8117 and I cannot find the support site for this brand sold solely (as far as I know) out of the UK Dixons chain (Dixons, Curry's & PC World) so I can't just go to the site and get the drivers (assuming they even do them).

Surfing around a bit more it turns out that you can slipstream drivers into an XP CD (still trying to figure out exactly how to do that) and that the Advent 8117 is based on the Mobile Intel 943GML Express chipset (which I presume that includes its SATA interface) so if I can integrate those it should work.

Thanks

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Windows XP On SATA Laptop

I am lead to believe the SATA drivers are available here. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...3224055&os=228

I would suggest downloading a copy of nLite http://www.nliteos.com/download.html and using it to slipstream the SATA driver into the XP install CD.

Another thing you could try is to enter the BIOS and see if there is a Compatibility option available in the IDE Controller settings. If you muckup the settings in the BIOS you can always reset them to one of the Defaults.

Please note that any of the above actions are done at your own risk and you are solely responsibility for any machine malfunctions that may result from the above suggestios.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

Yes those drivers work (thanks) but, using them with a USB floppy, once I get past the disk format stage I get ...

Insert the disk labeled:
      Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver
      into drive A:

* Press ENTER when ready
      Pressing ENTER does nothing and I get the impression it's a case of it no longer knows where the USB floppy is or no longer recognises it as A:

Any ideas or do you know how I slipstream these drivers into my XP CD?

Kyu

Comment

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...ProductID=2101

Link for Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
          http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...ProductID=2101

Link for Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver.
          Thanks but I don't think it's that because (firstly) I already had that and tried it both as the actual driver (didn't find the drive) and as a secondary one at the time the question is asked but (secondly) it would be the first time in my life (and I'm in IT so it's a lot of times) I've ever had to supply TWO different floppy disks.

EDIT: The drivers you kindly linked to (and I've tried all four options) all support raid and this is a one drive laptop.

Obviously I could be wrong but I genuinely think that for some reason it can't find the USB drive at this point.

Kyu
          Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 17th August 2008, 09:14.

Comment

XP will only, as far as I am aware, recognise a proper floppy drive when it comes to installing SATA drivers via pressing the F6 key during XP setup.

The beauty of Vista is that you do not need to worry about this.

However, you may want to have a look at this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/arch.../t-160809.html

And I don't know if this may help, or at least lead you to more possible solutions:

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversio...hp/t30231.html

Good luck!
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

OK ...

I have, thanks to the help of various people across several forums (but most notably Biggles77 here for the SATA drivers and him and several others who suggested nLite), managed to install XP Pro successfully. It doesn't perform all that bad at all, every bit as good as Vista as far as I can tell and as good as any other XP installation but only time will tell whether that holds true. IMO it is better than Vista because, like many others, I prefer the XP experience to that of Vista

For the benefit of others who would also like to put XP on their Advent 8117 (or similar presumably 943GML based system) the following are the links & steps I used (apologies if I'm repeating anything anyone has already put up):

Step 1: Create a slipstreamed SP3/SATA CD
              1A: Download the following:

1B: Run nLite and create a bootable CD with service pack and drivers installed

Step 2: Install XP, should install XP at SP3 with no issues on finding SATA disk.

Step 3: Download and install the following hardware updates

Step 4: Update laptop via Windows update.

Eh Voila! Should be fine

Thank you everyone for your help

Kyu

Comment

Hi Kyu, we appreciate you posting back with the steps AND the links (nice layout!!! ).

I am sure this will help other membes who have this problem in the future. Thanks. :beer
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X