black screen after logon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black screen after logon

I changed the drive letter by modifying "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices"
    and now after logging in the screen stays black. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Re: black screen after logon

Change the drive letter back to what it was originally.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Change the drive letter back to what it was originally.
      How do I make registry changes without accessing the desktop?

Comment

You'll have to use a bootable CD/DVD that will allow you to access and edit the registry. Try BartPE, ReaToGo, or UBCD4WIN.

Comment

You'll have to use a bootable CD/DVD that will allow you to access and edit the registry. Try BartPE, ReaToGo, or UBCD4WIN.
          could FIXMBR, BOOTCFG, or FIXBOOT help? The computer boots fine, just has an issue when it starts to load the desktop.

could it be possible that I need to copy some windows files, or change a setup file?

The drive letter was "I" and I changed it to "C". I would much rather keep it as "C" if I can get it to work.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

FIXMBR and FIXBOOT are used to write a new Master Boot Record and partition table, these will probably not help you. I've never uset BOOTCFG so I don't know about it. At this point you've got nothing to lose by trying them.

Comment

FIXMBR and FIXBOOT are used to write a new Master Boot Record and partition table, these will probably not help you. I've never uset BOOTCFG so I don't know about it. At this point you've got nothing to lose by trying them.
              Thanks for your help. I used UBCD4WIN to set the drive letter back to "I".

So the computer boots fine now. So what is the proper way to change the drive letter from "I" to "C"?

Comment

Reinstall the O/S to the required drive. That way you KNOW everything is in the right location and all the registry settings are correct.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Reinstall the O/S to the required drive. That way you KNOW everything is in the right location and all the registry settings are correct.
                  Should I do a repair to avoid losing data and programs? Will a repair reset the drive to C?

It seems like one of the partition tools would have a solution for this... anyone tried them?
                  Last edited by parks853; 14th August 2008, 03:25.

Comment

A Repair will not change the drive lettering. It will only fix damaged files.

Use the partitioning tool at your own risk and make sure you have a total data backup before starting. This includes My Document, email, PST or all the Outlook Express files, address book, Favorites, N2K file and anything else you may have stored in the non standard locations.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X