Orphan domain removal from Workstation "available domains" drop down box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan domain removal from Workstation "available domains" drop down box

Hi Everyone. I am a newbie here and looking forward to getting and giving help.

I built all new servers for a company I came to and changed the internal domain name. I have joined all workstations to the new domain, but cannot get rid of the old domain name in the login drop down boxes on the workstations. This is causing some hard to train users to log into the old domain still. How can I clear that? NOTE: NO servers from the old domain are still online anywhere. And the Operations Master on the PDC is correct etc. I ran the NTSDUTIL/Meta Clean up etc... the Old domain is not listed there. HELP!!!

And thanks

Tmac

Re: Orphan domain removal from Workstation "available domains" drop down box

This is almost always WINS or DNS. Are there any entries in WINS with the name of the old Domain or DCs? Are you even running WINS? If not, check DNS for the SRV records relating to the old domain.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hey thanks for the speedy reply. Ok, question. Are you refering to the DC or on the workstations? I have flushed DNS on all servers and I quite honestly don't know where to flush any cached WINS info.

Thanks again

Comment

Sorry.. yes i am running WINS. This is from my workstation.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : XXXXXX.local
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Conne
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-6B-36-28-5A
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.70
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . .:192.168.2.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.11
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.10
        Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.10
        Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 192.168.2.11
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:41:23 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 15, 2008 1:41:23 PM

Comment

Originally posted by TmacDaddy View Post
          Sorry.. yes i am running WINS. This is from my workstation.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
          Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : XXXXXX.local
          Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Conne
          Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-6B-36-28-5A
          Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
          Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.70
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . .:192.168.2.1
          DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.11
          DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.10
          Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.10
          Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 192.168.2.11
          Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:41:23 PM
          Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 15, 2008 1:41:23 PM
          OK, so you need to open a WINS console either on, or pointing to, 192.168.2.10, and delete all records which refer to any servers in the old domain, or the old domain itself. You need to replicate these changes to 192.168.2.11. Then you need to flush the WINS cache on the workstation you're using to test (in a command prompt, type NBTSTAT -R <--- must be a capital R).

YOU ALSO NEED TO CHECK FOR SRV RECORDS ON YOUR DNS SERVERS - it's no good flushing the cache on the workstations if the records still exist in DNS - the workstation will simply re-read and cache them again!
          Last edited by Stonelaughter; 7th August 2008, 22:10.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
          X