No announcement yet.

hangs during boot, XP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hangs during boot, XP

well i've been having this problem ever since we've changed to a windows 2003 and new workstation. what happens is right after a user logs into the Domain the workstation will hang and just show a blank desktop. after 4 or 5 tries(rebooting) the user will be able to log in. now this doesn't happen every morning. only some days it does.
    i have this happening in three different sites. the workstations have Norton Corp. on them and i'm using a very simple kix script which i've used for years. that's is about it. no roaming profiles, nothing fancy.
    any experience with this issue?

Re: hangs during boot, XP

Originally posted by swixtt View Post
    since we've changed to a windows 2003 and new workstation.
    Changed from what? I take it this a W2K3 DC? How does the "new workstation" bit fit in? Login was fine "before"?

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

2000 DC was in there before...
      but i now think the problem is Symantec Corp... 10.1.5

i believe the other problem i was having was when users logged into the domain it would create a new profile!!
      i found in the release notes ...
      While logging on the computer, a new user profile is created
      Fix ID: 994915
      Symptom: When logging on to a computer, a user profile may appear to be locked, so the system creates a new user profile for the user.
      Solution: Eliminated an unnecessary delay during the logon process to alleviate some of the load on the thread that processes logging on and off.

i am going to migrate the server to a newer version and see if that helps.

Can you uninstall Norton for testing purposes and see the progress?