XP Local Security Policy Template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Local Security Policy Template

Does anybody know of any ready made security templates for locking down Standalone XP computers. It will save me doing one from scratch.

Thanks

Re: XP Local Security Policy Template

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
    Does anybody know of any ready made security templates for locking down Standalone XP computers. It will save me doing one from scratch.

Thanks
    Located on every XP machine is a folder that includes several different templates for various levels of security.

There is also the Windows XP Security Guide which supposedly includes security templates along with loads of other good info.

NIST apparently has some predefined security templates. Make sure to read up on exactly what these templates are doing.

I did a simple Google search which came back with some interesting information. I'm sure you could think of some better keywords to use.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for the post. Will take a look.

Comment

Just found a Windows download called SteadyState that may do the job I want. Have you had any experience in that? Looks interesting.

Comment

It depends on what your want.
          Security is quite depended on the company so it has not a real use to pre-create them.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            Just found a Windows download called SteadyState that may do the job I want. Have you had any experience in that? Looks interesting.
            I've never used it, but I've read a fair amount about it. There are several production reasons to use it where I work, but I've never had the time to use it. Did you see Microsoft's official site for it? Check out a TechNet search on SteadyState. Also, don't neglect the SteadyState community for help and support.

However, we might be able to assist you better if you would tell us more detail about your situation. What are you trying to do and why?

Keep us posted!
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Sorry for not getting back to all until now.

The lockdown policy is for locking down computers that are on an isolated network that just provides internet access. They will be used by major radio, TV and Press organisations in a high profile clients environment. I want to make sure that they can't tweak settings themselves to cause issues and need to have professional approach to it.

I reckon that I can probably use local Group Policy to lock them down and export this template to all machines and then maybe use Steady State to ensure consistency each time the machines are used.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I will be implementing the machines in the next couple of weeks for use next month.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X