Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP Pro - Can the installation type be identified without PID on installation media?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro - Can the installation type be identified without PID on installation media?

Hi all - first post! .. but please don't roll your eyes at what seems to be a well covered topic at first glance - please read on ...
    (my advance apologies if this has been covered somewhere but for the life of me I could not find it)

AIM 1a > To install XP Pro slipped with SP3 to new laptop (thus without having to install all vendor software on via supplied recovery media) using the installation key as recovered using Belarc. This key is obviously different to that printed on the label affixed to the laptop, compounded further that the label is Vista Business. This laptop shipped with XP Pro rollback media.

TO HAND > I have the XP Pro installation key as mentioned above. I have legit XP Pro 'VL' gold media cd (used for unrelated installation).

ISSUE > The laptop XP Pro rollback media is obviously a recovery image - thus no media access to the PID information. After 'standard recovery media' installation, the installation does not install an I386 folder to the hard drive - thus no hard drive access to the PID information.

AIM 1b > I want to be able to verify what the PID information is on the XP Pro rollback installation - so that this will match up to the installation key as recovered using Belarc - so I can then modify the PID on the XP Pro 'VL' gold media - create a new slipped media - and install to laptop with all 'supplied correct and intended' installation keys - without having to use the key on the affixed label and thus retaining the 'activation free' installation as per out of box state.

QUESTION(s) > Is it possible to recover this PID information from the XP Pro installation without access to the I386 folder as mentioned or is there another method to achieve what I'm trying to do?

I trust that this is clear and logical ... thank in advance for your help!
Working...
X