Automatically sync when server is available for reconnect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatically sync when server is available for reconnect

Hi, I have a couple questions about going offline that I would like to sort out.

The first issue I was looking to see if there is a fix for is this:

If a computer is connected to the lan and wireless and the user disconnects the lan the computer goes offline.

I was thinking that since the wireless was already on, that the network connection should just continue on the wireless when the lan is pulled but it does not.

The second is that when the first happens, shortly after the server is rediscovered and the blue 'i' pops up over the computer icon in the taskbar notifying the user the server is available for reconnect.

Is it possible to just automatically reconnect instead of the user having to click ok?

Re: Automatically sync when server is available for reconnect

Firstly, let's get some housekeeping out of the way. I think we would all benefit from the following information:
    1. What client OS are we talking about?
    2. What OS is acting as the server or the target for the client's syncing? (Server 2003, 2008, Vista, etc.)
    3. What syncing utiltiy are you using? (Windows built in offline files, windows suitcase, etc.)
    4. What wireless client application is being used? (Windows built in, IntelPro, Cisco Aironet, etc.)

Originally posted by Bryan G View Post
    If a computer is connected to the lan and wireless and the user disconnects the lan the computer goes offline.

I was thinking that since the wireless was already on, that the network connection should just continue on the wireless when the lan is pulled but it does not.
    I'm using Vista Ultimate and Window's built-in wireless client and I can be connected to both a LAN and a WLAN, then yank the LAN cable out and still be connected to the network. The trick now is to compare our settings and see what I have that you don't.
    Last edited by Nonapeptide; 22nd July 2008, 02:51. Reason: spelling
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Okay, here we go

1. What client OS are we talking about? XP
      2. What OS is acting as the server or the target for the client's syncing? (Server 2003, 2008, Vista, etc.) 2003
      3. What syncing utiltiy are you using? (Windows built in offline files, windows suitcase, etc.) built in offline files
      4. What wireless client application is being used? (Windows built in, IntelPro, Cisco Aironet, etc.) built in

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan G View Post

The second is that when the first happens, shortly after the server is rediscovered and the blue 'i' pops up over the computer icon in the taskbar notifying the user the server is available for reconnect.
        Okay, here's a load of questions but each one is impomrtant. I hope I don't overwhelm you.

If the LAN cable is yanked how do you eventually reconnect a user to the network via the wirelss adapter? Do you have to manually search for and connect to the wireless network?

If the LAN cable is connected, what does the wireless adapter say in the Network Connections window? Disabled, disconnected, connected, etc.? Then, if you yank the LAN cable does the wireless network adapter change states?

Is the wireless adapter set to search for and automatically connect to the preferred wireless network automatically? Are all of the settings correct so that no other wireless network has precedence?

Is the laptop in power saver mode when this happens? Does it happen when the laptop is plugged in to a power supply? My sneaking suspicion is that maybe the wireless NIC is set in some kind of power saving mode that shuts itself off or disconnects after a certain amount of inactivity. It could be through the Windows Power Settings control panel, the WNIC's driver settings, or even something else heretofore unknown but lurking in the background of your laptops.

Check it out and let us know.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

It's not that the wireless has to reconnect. The computer is connected to the wireless network before lan cable is pulled and remains connected after it is pulled

What happens is when lan cable is pulled, you are working offline will pop up in the system tray (computer icon) then shortly after that the computer icon will show the blue information i indicating available for reconnect.

Comment

This article should shed some light on the subject for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312171

Comment

Working...
            X