Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP address limitations on single NIC in various Opearting system

Hi,

Can any one pls help me with number of IPs that can be assigned to one NIC in Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Vista and Linux. 9 Years ago when i did MCSE in NT 4.0 i remeber i read somweher it was 11 IPs can be assigned to single NIC. Pls help me with exact no.

Re: IP address limitations on single NIC in various Opearting system

I am note sure how you did that in NT4 but you can only asign one IP address (Two to be more precise if we include the APIPA or User configured in the Alternate configuration) to a NIC at one given time. The later though acts as a backup if the adaptor fails to get an IP with the primary configuration. You can either set an IP address manually or set it to pick one up from a DHCP server.

Not quite sure if that's what you mean or am I missing anything?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Are you looking for this article?
      http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...e_network_card
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I was missing s'thing. Thanks Dumper that was something i haven't thought of before.
        Just an observation on that: you are not able to use any added IP if you have DHCP enabled for that adaptor.

Cheers
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

IIRC from various exams, you can assign 5 IP addresses using the advanced properties of the network card, then another 5 using the registry.
          This was for 2000 Pro and XP -- I have no idea for other OSes
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

haven?t tried too many in Linux, but generally you can create as many ip aliases as you want
            just add another ifcfg-XXXX file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts (in RH)
            ________
            YAMAHA YX600 RADIAN
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:10.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
            X