Port 80 block

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port 80 block

In last 2 days there is an "Microsoft security update" that causes to the restriction of port 80, therefore it's impossible to surf. Insofar and this happens you have to remove the last updates from "add/remove programs"

With regard
    Yacov
    Last edited by yberco; 11th July 2008, 07:15.

Re: Port 80 block

It doesn't block port 80. I suspect you are talking about the DNS fix in which case it usually seems to be something like the ZoneAlarm firewall causing the issue.
    Do you have that installed?

Also you will generally find you get better answers if you ask a question rather than post a statement.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The fix is 951748 and it redesigns the implementation of DNS so that cache poisoning (returning a malicious site IP address rather than the one requested) is no longer possible. Unfortunately because it affects DNS it also affects the way in which ZoneAlarm does its job. Zone Labs suggest three possible work-arounds, my notes on each are in red:

1. Remove the hotfix. Microsoft keep re-installing it; you would have to set updates to "Manual" and reject this particular update

2. Add your ISP's DNS Servers to the "Trusted Zone" in the Firewall screen's "Zones" tab. This didn't work at all for me. No idea why.

3. Set "Security Level" for the Internet Zone to "Medium" - your computer is visible but protected. This worked; but bear in mind that you now become an easier target for hacking attempts since your computer is visible.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
        It doesn't block port 80. I suspect you are talking about the DNS fix in which case it usually seems to be something like the ZoneAlarm firewall causing the issue.
        Do you have that installed?

Also you will generally find you get better answers if you ask a question rather than post a statement.
        Hello,
        I don't have ZoneAlarm. I have F-secure Internet Security 2008.

After hours of an examination with my ADSL provider and my ISP I understood that everything is OK in the internet service.
        I did examination PING to a certain address and afterwards examination in that address port 80 by TELNET.
        And afterwards examination was specified PING was excellent (100% 25-30 msec). The TELNET PORT 80 test in same address was blocked. After I did removal of the latest update everything was OK. That's way I wrote the message. Maybe that the problem only in Hebrew updates. Doesn't know.

Thanks, Yacov

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          The fix is 951748 and it redesigns the implementation of DNS so that cache poisoning (returning a malicious site IP address rather than the one requested) is no longer possible. Unfortunately because it affects DNS it also affects the way in which ZoneAlarm does its job. Zone Labs suggest three possible work-arounds, my notes on each are in red:

1. Remove the hotfix. Microsoft keep re-installing it; you would have to set updates to "Manual" and reject this particular update

2. Add your ISP's DNS Servers to the "Trusted Zone" in the Firewall screen's "Zones" tab. This didn't work at all for me. No idea why.

3. Set "Security Level" for the Internet Zone to "Medium" - your computer is visible but protected. This worked; but bear in mind that you now become an easier target for hacking attempts since your computer is visible.

Thank you very much on the argued answer.
          Really after everything there was okay the problem is back and I needed again to remove the update.

Thank again,
          Yacov

Comment

Working...
          X