Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACER Recovery?

Hi,

Maybe anyone who has an ACER system can help here as I understand it isnít just MediaCenter machines (mineís an L250) that ACER configure in this way.

I inherited the above machine and, as is my wont, cleaned it up (deleted a number of programs) ... some MediaCenter functionality doesnít work anymore ... maybe it never did but itís more likely I killed it. Anyway, a friend told me that there was a partition for recovery so, checking the Disk Management MMC, I found an HP/ Compaq style hidden partition called PQSERVICE. I looked this up on the net and (at 3Gb) it appears some kind of restore but I could find no guidance on how to use it ... I gather the *usual* ALT+F10 ACER system is no longer available so there must be some other way to boot from this partition OR perhaps it is used to create a bootable DVD?

Looking in the partition it has a whole load of system files (MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT and so on) so it undoubtedly is capable of booting but I used Hiren's BOOT CD (which is how I made the partition visible) to alter the boot type with no luck (the partition wonít boot). There's a suggestion of changing something in the BIOS too but I can't find that. Possibly if I can image this partition to DVD it might be bootable and from that I could recreate the system, or there might be some other way to boot the partition on its own. Failing that maybe thereís a way of creating an ISO image and from that a bootable DVD?

Does anyone have any information on how to use such restore partitions?

A final option is to just rebuild using XP & MC 2005 ... I have no media but Iíve downloaded a copy (P2P) and I have a valid product code so I assume that is legal.

Kyu
    Last edited by biggles77; 26th July 2008, 19:15. Reason: Removed Herin link due to possible licence issues of software.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: ACER Recovery?

Just a wild thought here -- Have you considered contacting Acer? I'm guessing you could buy the re-imaging disks for a reasonable price.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

There is a key combination to use during the POST process that will start the Recovery process (assuming it is still working). The combination is published in the laptop's manual.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        There is a key combination to use during the POST process that will start the Recovery process (assuming it is still working). The combination is published in the laptop's manual.
        Apparently the ALT+F10 is no longer used BUT I have found some stuff which gives guidance as to how to recover the CD's/DVD ... I intend to try that tonight.

Originally posted by rvalstar
        Just a wild thought here -- Have you considered contacting Acer? I'm guessing you could buy the re-imaging disks for a reasonable price.
        As yet no, I've been investigating net resources ... I will if I have to though

Kyu

Comment

Hi,

Just to let you know that I successfully recovered the Acer Partition ... in essence it was easy (once I knew how), you just ran the Acer recovery utility and it then went ahead and burned 1 DVD or 5 CD's (DVD failed so I did the latter) and from those (which were essentially a multi-disk ghost image I rebuilt the system.

In my defence not only did I not know the full potential of this aspect (it does quite a few other things and I found the information largely by chance) of the Acer Recovery system but the warnings it gave of destroying the system partition rather disinclined me from continuing.

Anyway ... thanks for your help

Kyu

Comment

Thanks for posting back and sharing your knowledge so that others may benefit from it as well. We appreciate your Community Spirit!
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X