No announcement yet.

NEW seagate barracuda 7200.11 500gb sata-II 32mb cache HDD wont show up in xp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW seagate barracuda 7200.11 500gb sata-II 32mb cache HDD wont show up in xp

I recently purchased the titled hard drive and is brandnew...my current hard drive is an 80gb excelstor...this is alreday plugged into the motherboard as the master in the no.1 sata plug...it is IDE primary master on the bios. My new drive is currently set as the primary slave and it shows up as this in the bios....when i then leave bios and go into XP and look in either disk management or device manager it isnt there :S ??? I have also tired it as the secondary master to no avail...as well as mixing up the wires to see if there is a difference made. It is 100% spinning up and considering it shows up in bios it must be aware it is in the system .... PLEASE HELP - how to get XP to recognise it is installed on the MOBO.

If you wish add me on [email protected] or Xfire - rambo666999

Re: NEW seagate barracuda 7200.11 500gb sata-II 32mb cache HDD wont show up in xp

Are there any unknown devices in Device Manager at all?
    I would put some no spam stuff in your email address too.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your MB, drivers and windows updates as well?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: NEW seagate barracuda 7200.11 500gb sata-II 32mb cache HDD wont show up in xp

hey, i was going to update the bios but im not comfortable with doing that yet (dont wanna mess* it up) - im on windows xp SP2 - an what driver updates would i require.....im on a ASUS p5gc-mx mobo

nothing is showing up anywhere other than my 80gb HDD except on bios where both are apparent!

(my apologies andy im new to all this jazz i dont know the etiquette)
      Last edited by rambo666999; 8th July 2008, 12:50.

Comment

Please don't swear. Many different people read these forums and they are of all ages. Can you change you post please.

I will have a look on the ASUS site to see if there is anything relevant. Their forums are usually a good bet for people with issues like that so will search them too.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

thanks alot even for the effort! im really fustrated as even the local pc guy i just phoned says that if its in bios it should show but it isnt....if i cant do this soon im going to haveto go to him and i will have failed

Comment

There is a forum here
            http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...age=2&count=59
            that it may be worth dropping a post on.

If your Device Manager doesn't have any devices that are plinged or unknown then it implies this drive isn't plugged into a raid/ahci connector (or the system already recognises this).
            You state disk management doesn't show it at all but does Device Manager see it in hard drives?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

hey, nope there is nothing indicating a seagate HDD is present anywhere on device manager (including hardrive section) tell me more about the raid connector business please?

Comment

Have a look in the SATA section of the BIOS and see if you have an option for Compatibility Mode (or similar). If it is there, try changing it to that.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi guys - i instead removed my 80 gig and loaded XP pro onto it ...i will transfer my wanted files off the 80 gig via disk or usb...if any of you have better ideas plz tell me thanks andy

Comment

Working...
                  X