Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto logoff

Hai all

I want to set auto logoff feature in Thin clients (windows XP Embedded and in XP sp2. how to do this

Re: Auto logoff

When you say Auto logoff, do you mean after a period of inactivity or in any circumstances?

It can be set under the User account Properties and the Session tab or
    how about using Scheduled tasks and the Logoff executable in the System32 folder?
    Last edited by L4ndy; 8th July 2008, 08:36.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by balajitry View Post
      Hai all

I want to set auto logoff feature in Thin clients (windows XP Embedded and in XP sp2. how to do this
      You could copy the logoff executable, rename the the extension to *.scr and set it as an screensaver, then configure the the screen saver to run after 15 minutes or so.

Comment

Originally posted by RonaldM View Post
        You could copy the logoff executable, rename the the extension to *.scr and set it as an screensaver, then configure the the screen saver to run after 15 minutes or so.
        That was a really neat keep-it-simple idea. I tried it but couldn't get it to work. Then I googled http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...f+screen+saver and found:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winexit.htm

Winexit.scr

Haven't tried it so no feedback or opinion.

Also, I have a "Corporate Appliance" (locked down laptop from a Fortune 500 company) that attempted to require a screen saver by GPO. I'm not against that sort of thing but my appliance is physically secured in my remote location -- not subject to the bull pen. I was able to defeat the GPO settings in a matter of minutes though I am a local admin on the box.

Point being -- don't bank on this solution 100%.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Actually it's an old hacking trick, renaming an exe to an scr

An scr is actually an exe file, i have written some screensavers for fun and when you compile them they are just exe file's which you rename to .scr

In the old day's off win2k when you lost the password to the local admin account you could make that machine an dualboot with another win2k installation and from that installation you can rename for example cmd.exe to logon.scr (the default screensaver) in the original installation then boot the original win2k, login as an user, wait for the screensaver to kick in and presto you get an cmd prompt WITH local system admin rights as up to win2k the screensaver run's with local system admin rights, you then could change the lost password.

The kind off thing you now would do with an live cd containing locksmith because as off XP & higher the screensaver no longer run's as an local system admin and this trick don't work no more.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
            http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winexit.htm

Winexit.scr

Haven't tried it so no feedback or opinion.
            In order for non-administrators to be able to use WINEXIT, you must add Set Value and Create Subkey permissions for the group Everyone on the following registry key:
            HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\M icrosoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMappings\Control.ini
            (http://winonline.blogspot.com/2006/0...rmissions.html)

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

I'm well aware of the .EXE to .SCR bit and the prob's with lack of rights when hijacking the logon SCR (doesn't apply in this case however -- run a whoami /all from a cmd.exe renamed cmd.scr for a logged in user's screen saver and you'll find a full security token for that user).

None-the-less, logoff.exe doesn't appear to function as desired when run as logoff.scr. cmd.exe as cmd.scr then do a logoff at the prompt works though I am an admin on the box.
              Last edited by rvalstar; 8th July 2008, 20:43.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                When you say Auto logoff, do you mean after a period of inactivity or in any circumstances?
                @balajitry
                Can you answer to L4ndy's question?
                Do you want a logoff after...
                - certain session duration
                - period of inactivity
                - sheduled time

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Hai L4ndy

I want the logoff to take place after certain period of inactivity say 15 min

My requirement is that i wan this to be implemented in THin clients and desktops,
                  i have used WINEXIT.scr and tried the logoff feature before posting this question. i worked well in the admin login for both Thin client and desktops. but when i log on to the user login the auto logoff screen saver is not working. which means when i checked the scrennsaver tab in the desktop properties it is set to different screen saver. i want the same screen saver to be pushed to all the users.

How to push the screen saver settings to all the local users in win xp sp2. if i know this answer i will meet my requirement.

also

for the thin client in our setup we are not able to edit the users login settings because it is a embedded os

kindly help me, tell me if there is any other methods available

Comment

For the desktops you can try the Scheduled Task to kick off after a X period of inactivity.
                    For the Thin clients you can have a look at the Sessions Tab in User account properties.
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                    X