No announcement yet.

"the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

Hello,

I realize this error has been on the forums before, but I can't seem to find a situation such as mine related to this error. I own a laptop on a home network (I live in an apartment and someone else runs the wireless router). I turn my computer on today, try to log in, and get this error:

"the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

I haven't done (and I don't believe the guy who runs the router) has changed anything since yesterday(when it was working).

Now I can't log into my computer at all (admin nor regular).

Any help?

Finaly note: I'm on Windows XP.
    Last edited by soleil5150; 5th July 2008, 17:37.

Re: "the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

This wireless network, is it some kind of shared WAP that your apartment or dorm uses collectively? Is your computer part of a domain? Was anything done or installed on the computer before this happened?

I'm immediately suspicious of the wireless network. If it's shared, it's possible that you've had some prankster / script kiddie tweak your machine somehow. To me, it sounds like your local policy has had something done to it. I suppose it also could have just been some kind of quirk.

If you boot using Safe Mode, can you log in then? If so, go to the run command, type 'gpedit.msc' (without the quotes). Go to Computer Configuration, expand Windows Settings, expand Security Settings, expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment*. Look at the "Allow Logon Locally" and "Deny Log on locally" policies and see if your accounts are either missing from the Allow policy or added to the Deny policy.

You could also completely reapply your local security policy by following this article.

Do you have another Windows XP or Vista machine that you can use on the same network? If so, you could also try to connect to your malfunctioning XP machine via various remote tools. For instance, on another Windows machine, launch computer management and from the action menu select "connect to another computer" and put in the DNS name or IP address of your other computer. You may or may not be able to connect to it depending on your computer's security settings. If you can connect to it, you could comb through your event logs for anything suspicious. You can also remotely change the security settings of your computer using the group policy object editor mmc snap-in. Holler if you need instructions for doing that if any of the above doesn't work.

Keep us up to date!

(*copied from this KB article.)
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Re: "the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

I don't believe its a part of a domain, but yes, its a shared network. I don't think I installed anything on it before this happened.

I can't log in using Safe Mode, so I'll see if I can use some type of remote tools.

Another note. I had two computers on the network (1 desktop,1 laptop), one seems to work fine, the laptop however doesn't.

EDIT: Is there an easy way to figure out the other computer's IP or DNS?
      Last edited by soleil5150; 5th July 2008, 18:36.

Comment

Originally posted by soleil5150 View Post
        EDIT: Is there an easy way to figure out the other computer's IP or DNS?
        On another computer, go to a command prompt and type 'net view'. A list of viewable devices on the network will come back (if the wireless network doesn't have peer security enabled). Then you have to pick which name you think is the other computer's and then use that name in the remote tools.

The other possibility is the Swiss-Army-Chainsaw technique of doing a repair installation of Windows XP using the original disks. Note: This isn't a re-installation. This is a repair installation. All data on the disk will remain intact (or at least, it's supposed to remain intact. Caveat emptor). Check out this article and this Google search.

If you really want to get adventurous, you could hack Windows a little bit using this technique. It's for Vista, bit I think it will work for XP as well. Of course, once again I'll say "Caveat Emptor".

EDIT: The hack mentioned above would give you an Explorer shell that would then allow you to launch other applications like gpedit, etc.
        Last edited by Nonapeptide; 5th July 2008, 19:12. Reason: clarity
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

I don't actually remember where I put my XP cd, and the net view option isn't working. I just might have to try that adventurous route.

For now, should I just go ahead and try the restore cd that came with the laptop?
          EDIT: No go on the restore cd that came with the laptop, I can't take the data loss.
          Last edited by soleil5150; 5th July 2008, 19:22.

Comment

I don't actually remember where I put my XP cd
            Ouch.

and the net view option isn't working.
            What exactly is it doing? What is the error message or behaviour?

You could scan the subnet using a network scanner like SuperScan or NetScan and see which hosts are live and if their IP resolves to a DNS name. Then you could try to pick out which hostname is your other computer's. If no DNS name comes back, you'll have to choose one IP address at a time (that isn't your own or your default gateway's) and then point your remote tools at that IP. When asked for a username and password, use what you usually log into your malfunctioning computer with. If it doesn't work, you can assume that you either have the wrong computer or that your computer doesn't allow remote connections (I hope you don't have the firewall turned on =) ). I hope that made sense.

Of course, scanning for live hosts and randomly attempting to connect to them could be construed as a threatening action and could be grounds for prosecution (even having those tools on your hard drive could get you in trouble if you live in Germany ). However, in this case, I think you're fine since probably no one is monitoring for that and even if they were they'd probably understand your situation and leave you in peace. I just thought I'd mention that since I'm paranoid.

I just might have to try that adventurous route.
            Only if you're sure you can handle it.

For now, should I just go ahead and try the restore cd that came with the laptop?
            EDIT: No go on the restore cd that came with the laptop, I can't take the data loss.

So there is no option to perform a repair installation? Which model laptop are you using (Dell Vostro, Sony VAIO; include model numbers if you can)?
            Last edited by Nonapeptide; 5th July 2008, 19:38.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Hey, sorry for taking so long.

When I tried net view option, the message was:

the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

I'll try SuperScan or NetScan in just a few minutes then I suppose -- by any chance illegal in Canada...?

The laptop is incredibly old by the way (hp ze5200).

Comment

Hey, sorry for taking so long.
                O_o

9 minutes is long?!

When I tried net view option, the message was:

the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available
                Is a firewall running on the machine that you used ''net view' from? If so, disable it temporarily and try again.

I'll try SuperScan or NetScan in just a few minutes then I suppose -- by any chance illegal in Canada...?
                I'm not sure. Don't worry about it. You should be fine...

The laptop is incredibly old by the way (hp ze5200).
                A quick search didn't turn anything useful up. The original XP CDs are really the only thing that would help. You could find a friend that has an XP CD and use that. Just make sure that the service pack level on the CD is the same as the service pack level on your laptop. I.E. don't use a XP SP1 CD to perform a repair installation on a XP SP2 computer. I've done that and would not recommend it.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

No firewall. But I'm going to see if my other room mates still have an XP cd (sadly none of them are home).

But for now, I'll start downoading SuperScan or NetScan. Sadly I have to go in half an hour (but I'll be back at around 9-10 EST).

On a side note, would Advanced IP Scanner 1.5 work as a replacement for superscan or netscan? Just incase, so i don't have to go into torrents or whatnot.

Ironically, this post took longer haha.
                  Last edited by soleil5150; 5th July 2008, 20:25.

Comment

No firewall. But I'm going to see if my other room mates still have an XP cd (sadly none of them are home).
                    I think that would be the best option before we start tweaking things with BackTrack.

But for now, I'll start downoading SuperScan or NetScan. Sadly I have to go in half an hour (but I'll be back at around 9-10 EST).

On a side note, would Advanced IP Scanner 1.5 work as a replacement for superscan or netscan? Just incase, so i don't have to go into torrents or whatnot.
                    I won't be available at all tomorrow so we may need to pick up this saga on Monday. I've never used Advanced IP scanner, but its description looks like a regular IP scanner so it should work just fine. What would make you go into torrents for those other two apps? Those two links I gave you are normal http downloads.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

I completely forgot those two were links. I'll def be using those then. For now I'll see if I can get a copy anytime tonight, if not I'll try using those programs and I'll update you on Monday then.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I completely forgot those two were links. I'll def be using those then. For now I'll see if I can get a copy anytime tonight, if not I'll try using those programs and I'll update you on Monday then.

Thanks for all the help!
                        FYI, NetScan is the simpler of the two. Try that one first.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

I don't think we would like to hear anything more about torrents or whatnot. Thanks.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X