OEM XP Pro CD ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM XP Pro CD ?

I have recently built a computer for a client with an OEM XP Pro Key but could not find the CD< I have a lot of XP Pro CDs, Corporate, Dell, Sp2 etc but no OEM CDs and everytime i go through the long process of the install and get prompted for the key it does not work. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any ISO images available anywhere . This key is valid and we have decommisioned the old copy and I just upgraded all the hardware so I just want to reuse the key but can't get it installed. Any advice ? the key is an OEM for XP Pro Sp1

thanks

Re: OEM XP Pro CD ?

nevermind i found the article changed the key and activated it

Comment

Be advised that an OEM version of XP is tied to the motherboard. You can change HDD, RAM, CPU or Video and still use same OEM key. Once you change the motherboard (even if you keep all the other hardware) you are required to purchase a new copy of XP, ergo a new Product Key. This does not apply to a retail copy of XP.

This post is not an open invitation to discuss the validity of the EULA. Thank you.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Also, you could contact the OEM vendor and ask them for a copy of the installation media... they're usually pretty understanding if you have a valid product key.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Be advised that an OEM version of XP is tied to the motherboard. You can change HDD, RAM, CPU or Video and still use same OEM key. Once you change the motherboard (even if you keep all the other hardware) you are required to purchase a new copy of XP, ergo a new Product Key. This does not apply to a retail copy of XP.

This post is not an open invitation to discuss the validity of the EULA. Thank you.
          Don't you also need to keep that sticker with the computer??

If you upgrade all the hardware (i.o.w. build an new computer) how are you gonna transfer that sticker?

Comment

According to the EULA, you arent....
            Thats what retail / volume copies are for.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks everyone, the sticker is on the original case where all hardware upgrades took place, I had no problem activating it with Microsoft over the phone. The OS is only installed on one pc and once pc only and it was the original PC. That is what they asked and I explained to them that I had upgraded the hardware they checked my client's key and gave me a number to activate, pretty easy process, many thanks

Comment

An easy process which you only get a certain number of goes at - beware if this computer fails often you might find yourself with a dead duck of an OS because M$ won't activate it any more...

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Tigershark.

Also wanted to make sure you understood that no aspersions were being cast in your direction regarding improper use of the software. Obviously MS were happy with what you were doing.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I run a small computer IT and data recovery company so everything I do is legit, everything is fine thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                      An easy process which you only get a certain number of goes at - beware if this computer fails often you might find yourself with a dead duck of an OS because M$ won't activate it any more...
                      Is it not something like 10 attempts that you get??

He should create a good image when the system is first built and activated and stable and give that to the customer.

Comment

Working...
                      X