Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYSPREP and SP3 causing an Autochk.exe error

Good Day,

Having spent days and days trying to work out why my new sysprep image will not work, I have pinpointed the problem to SP3. For some reason if you have SP3 installed and then sysprep it, you get an autochk.exe error when you try to roll that image out.

I have since worked out a workaround although I am not yet aware of what problems down the line this workaround will cause so be warned. I have basically installed SP3 but then replaced the following files with the SP2 versions:
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\mountmgr.sys
    c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
    c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

This appears to fix the problem and the syspreped image is able to roll out as normal. When I get time I will copy the SP3 version files back to a workstation after the syspreped image has rolled out to see if this will cause any problems. If anyone else has time to test this please let me know. Thanks

As yet I have not had time to to an exhaustive investigation into these files so it might only be one of them that needs changing instead of all three. Again, if anyone has time and can test this theory and leave a post on here it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I hope this helps somebody and saves them a lot of time pulling their hair out with the new SP3.

Kind regards

KC

Re: SYSPREP and SP3 causing an Autochk.exe error

Are you using the sysprep from SP3?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Good Afternoon Michael,

Thank you for your post.

I am glad you mentioned the SP3 version of sysprep as I had forgotten to update that along with the SP3 update of the operating system. However I have since tried the SP3 version of the sysprep and unfortunately it is the same result.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Casey

Comment

I haven't tried the SP3 sysprep. But has anyone had luck with any of this problem?

Originally posted by CeeFar View Post
        Good Day,

Having spent days and days trying to work out why my new sysprep image will not work, I have pinpointed the problem to SP3. For some reason if you have SP3 installed and then sysprep it, you get an autochk.exe error when you try to roll that image out.

I have since worked out a workaround although I am not yet aware of what problems down the line this workaround will cause so be warned. I have basically installed SP3 but then replaced the following files with the SP2 versions:
        c:\windows\system32\drivers\mountmgr.sys
        c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
        c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

This appears to fix the problem and the syspreped image is able to roll out as normal. When I get time I will copy the SP3 version files back to a workstation after the syspreped image has rolled out to see if this will cause any problems. If anyone else has time to test this please let me know. Thanks

As yet I have not had time to to an exhaustive investigation into these files so it might only be one of them that needs changing instead of all three. Again, if anyone has time and can test this theory and leave a post on here it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I hope this helps somebody and saves them a lot of time pulling their hair out with the new SP3.

Kind regards

KC

Comment

KC, thanks for your original post.

I was given a personal laptop of a client which was experiencing the AUTOCHK error at startup. After reading your post and looking at the laptop, I discovered that the SP3 install had been run. Going through your steps, Windows started up and began rolling back from SP3. All is good again.

Comment

Working...
          X