Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP SP3, Internet Explorer icon gone

Hello,

i have searched and googled and tried everything i found including that known reg key to fix the problem.
    After installing Win XP SP3, the desktop icon of IE is gone,
    shortcut can be done, but not the original icon with properties and so on (unless you do that from control panel or from ie it self)
    Can any1 advice what's the fix, beside uninstalling SP3 ?
    again, i tried everything i found on google so far nothing helped me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	123.GIF
Views:	1
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	467952
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: XP SP3, Internet Explorer icon gone

Try TweakUI. It allows rebuilding/repairing of "special" folders so there may be an option to rebuild the desktop properly.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Well, a thing is for sure: it's not related (only) to SP3...
      I checked few computers I have here, none with SP3. There are some that do show the Internet Explorer on Customize Desktop, and there are some that not (see the attached screenshot). And they all have the original IE icon on their Desktop. I also checked with a machine that is not in the Domain, just to be sure it is not related to some GPO (actually, the screenshot is taken from that machine), and it's the same: the icon shows on Desktop, the checkbox is missing.
      I have SP3 installed on another machine, the IE icon shows on the Desktop, but not the checkbox. I did not checked the issue before the SP3 installation, so cannot tell you if it was the same before...
      To summarize, it looks like we are looking under the wrong lamppost...
      Cannot tell you at this moment what is the problem and how to solve it, but I will try to look into it later in the day...

Added: I installed TweakUI on one of the machines that did not have the checkbox. Went to Desktop and there you have the option to show or hide the Internet Explorer (See the screenshot).
      The Repair option in TweakUI repairs the icon themselves, when the values in the DefaultIcon (for applications and file types) in the Registry are lost or faulty. I think it will not help in this case. But the idea of using TweakUI proved to be excellent, Stonelaughter .
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sorinso; 25th June 2008, 07:10. Reason: further inquiry...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Sorin, my problem on my pc is related to SP3, for granted.
        that TweakUI doesn't help in my case
        Rebuild did not fix it as well
        Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

I've had this problem myself after installing SP3.
          Here is what i found and it worked for me:

Copy the following registry setting, save as registry (*.reg) file, and merge. Refresh the desktop
          (Please make sure you backup the registry before making any changes).

For the Default Start Menu Local Machine

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
          "{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

For the Default Start Menu Current User

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

For the Classic Start Menu Current User

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMe nu]

For the Classic Start Menu Local Machine

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartM enu]

Just to let you know that this worked for me fine so use the code at your own risk.

Hope it helps
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
            Sorry, Just noticed there is a space in the word CurrentVersion on the above code.
            Please make sure there is no space!?!

Who said you could trust Copy and Paste?? Shame didn't use Preview Post ??

Cheers
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by Retaliator View Post
              Sorin, my problem on my pc is related to SP3, for granted.
              It might be one of the updates in SP3... As I said, my stations don't have it installed, and not the checkbox...
              Originally posted by Retaliator View Post
              that TweakUI doesn't help in my case
              Rebuild did not fix it as well
              Rebuilding the icons was not supposed to solve the problem... What did you do with TweakUI and did not work?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Tried those reg keys, they did not help.
                Sorin, no option for IE at all
                will upload screen shot soon
                Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

If you're still on SP2, uninstalling KB943460 will bring back the option in Customize Desktop. So far I haven't heard why it was removed but it's by design.

Obviously, if you're on SP3 removing that patch isn't an option... not that you should anyways. Use TweakUI if you want to add or remove the icon. (or search for the reg edits)
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Tried those reg keys, they did not help.
                    Retaliatior,

Did not help restoring the IE icon back or did not restore the missing option on the Customise desktop??

If it didn't help restoring the Icons back, make sure you correct the space in the code as per my previous post and refresh the desktop after running the .reg file. It worked fine for me.

The reason the IE option is removed from Customize Desktop by Microsoft in that patch is to detach their browser from the OS to give the users the fair option of using another browser if they wish to do so. I am not quite sure if they were forced legally to do so.
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

there is no such option on customize desktop, and did not bring the icon back
                      Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Check this out:
                        http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/rest...indows-xp-sp3/

In Windows XP SP3, the Internet Explorer option under the Desktop Icons section is missing, or disappeared. In fact, this is not a bug and is by design, probably due to anti-trust litigation settlement which requires Microsoft to disintegrate IE from operating system so that other web browsers can compete freely with IE6, IE7 or even IE8 in future.

AND
                        If you prefer to resolve the issue manually, perform the following:

Click Start, Run.
                        Type regedit.exe.
                        Navigate to the following registry key:
                        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\
                        HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel (wrapped for easy reading)

Note: If HideDesktopIcons and NewStartPanel do not exist, create new registry keys for them.

In the right hand pane, double-click {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} key.
                        If the registry value name does not exist, create a new DWORD value and name it as {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

Enter dword value data as 0 to enable the Internet Explorer icon on the Desktop.
                        For user who’re using Classic Start Menu, replace NewStartPanel with ClassicStartMenu instead so that the registry key location is as follow:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\
                        Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu (wrapped for easy reading)

Other steps are exactly the same with the above. Refresh the desktop after change to display the IE desktop icon.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

does not work, i posted after i tried all those tricks.
                          for now i use the shortcut
                          Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

oh, sorry... missed that....
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I ran into this same issue after updating our machines to SP3. I have tried all of the registry fixes out there and so far none of them have worked. The only method I have found to resolve the issue is by going into Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add\Remove Programs>Add\Remove Windows Components. remove the check from IE and then go back and add it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X