Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Install. Lack admin permissions

Hi.
    Iím an administrator/supporter for 11 public schools and we have some USB c-pen 20 (handheld scanner) to help kids with a reading problem. The pen scans the text to the machine and then the machine can read the text out loud.

The problem is this:
    When a student plugs in the pen it asks for a user with admin rights.

Info:
    The students are only domain users. They canít be power users.
    The client OS is Win XP pro sp3
    Server OS is Win 2003 R2

Things done already:
    Changed rights on usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf
    GPO settings for load and unload set with no result.

Nothing works. Plz help

Kind regards
    Czar

Re: USB Install. Lack admin permissions

Originally posted by Czar View Post
    Hi.
    I’m an administrator/supporter for 11 public schools and we have some USB c-pen 20 (handheld scanner) to help kids with a reading problem. The pen scans the text to the machine and then the machine can read the text out loud.

The problem is this:
    When a student plugs in the pen it asks for a user with admin rights.

Info:
    The students are only domain users. They can’t be power users.
    The client OS is Win XP pro sp3
    Server OS is Win 2003 R2

Things done already:
    Changed rights on usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf
    GPO settings for load and unload set with no result.

Nothing works. Plz help

Kind regards
    Czar

Seems to me that this piece off hardware is trying to install drivers, that action needs Administrator rights if the Driver is not native to WinXP.

Best solution, install the driver manually (can be done with remote desktop) and add it to the RIS image (if you use RIS) to avoid this in the future

Dirty & quick solution, create an MSI package from the driver and push it to all client's

Comment

Originally posted by RonaldM View Post
      Seems to me that this piece off hardware is trying to install drivers, that action needs Administrator rights if the Driver is not native to WinXP.

Best solution, install the driver manually (can be done with remote desktop) and add it to the RIS image (if you use RIS) to avoid this in the future

Dirty & quick solution, create an MSI package from the driver and push it to all client's
      Hi RonaldM
      Ty for your reply.

The driver is not native to XP no.
      The Image is build with mysysprep and Symantec Ghost and the Pen (driver + software) is installed in the Image and we don't use RIS.

I have created an MSI and deployed it but with no success.

Another problem to think of is when the Pen is inserted in one usb slot it finds it as a new hardware and again when you use another usb slot. And we have 8 different machines in our park.

Comment

Hi RonaldM
        Ty for your reply.

The driver is not native to XP no.
        The Image is build with mysysprep and Symantec Ghost and the Pen (driver + software) is installed in the Image and we don't use RIS.
        Installed drivers sometimes don't work with an sysprepped image, i have come across this problem lot's of times in my former role as an support engineer.

This is probably caused by the fact that the hardware wants to see the 'original' software, and that request to XP causes the admin login box to popup.

I.O.W. if you use RIS for example the original drivers are copied to the local disc before being installed (If the hardware is present during the installation of XP).
        Should the hardware be plugged in after the installation then XP has an reference to the driver on the disc, in youre situation the original driver is not present (or XP has no knowledge of it, the location of the original driver is set in the registry during setup by RIS).

Not all hardware suffer's from this problem, but some do.

What you could try manually is to get an machine on which you copy the original driver and then add an entry to DevicePath which points to the original inf file of the original driver.

you can find DevicePath under HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVe rsion

then logon with an user account and plug in the USB pen.

Now windows knows where to find the original driver.

I have created an MSI and deployed it but with no success.
        Probably because it still can't find the original driver, it's an long shot, but you could try to add the original driver to the MSI package and when the MSI is pushed it copies the original driver fully to an location on the disk and add the registry settings to tell windows where it can find the driver.

Another problem to think of is when the Pen is inserted in one usb slot it finds it as a new hardware and again when you use another usb slot. And we have 8 different machines in our park.
        Yup, that's normal behaviour from some hardware, this is why the original driver should be availeble to XP, i have that with my MS mouse, it install's the driver everytime i plug it in an different USB port.

Comment

Hi again.
          I have found out what the problem is (I think)
          The driver has no digital signature. When looking at the C:\Windows\setupapi.log its fails because there is no digital signature.

I have also done the devidepath with no luck
          Last edited by Czar; 25th June 2008, 13:44.

Comment

Hi again.
            I have found out what the problem is (I think)
            The driver has no digital signature. When looking at the C:\Windows\setupapi.log its fails because there is no digital signature.
            To install an non signed driver you indeed need administrator rights or you have to turn that option off, then i won't ask about installing non-signed drivers, i would try to get an signed driver if i where you

Comment

Originally posted by RonaldM View Post
              To install an non signed driver you indeed need administrator rights or you have to turn that option off, then i won't ask about installing non-signed drivers, i would try to get an signed driver if i where you
              Trying to take contact with the hw firm.
              Thanks for ur time

Comment

Working...
              X