Open Folder problem, please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Folder problem, please help

I tried to add a command prompt to the context menu of a folder (under winxp pro) as described at
    http://www.petri.com/add_command_pro...s_explorer.htm

Method #3.
    Now, unfortunately, Windows XP made this the default option, and now double clicking the folder will not open it - it will only open a command prompt!

I checked the removal method, but it doesn't work for me, as in the registry, under the appropriate 'Folder' entry, I have

shell
    -explore
    -open

and the shell entry ticks in with a (Default) not-set value. Please help me out, and tell me how to return my folder to its default opening ways.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Open Folder problem, please help

well, since it is XP, then why not just do a system restore to a day before the registry was change?
    Stacey Smith
    Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

Unfortunately, that is not an option. I have frequently had annoying problems with system restore, viruses eating themselves into the restore files, and once I finally got rid of them, they just automatically "restored" themselves.

I sort of fixed the problem by completely emptying the shell entries of "Directory" - yes it seems that I modified that and not the "Folder" entry. The damned thing that I am not using an english version has turned out to be against me.

Anyways, this is no real fix, as any time I add any sort of entry under 'shell', that automatically becomes the default action for double clicking the folder - and the context menu is now empty. I don't quite miss it, wasn't using it that much either, but it is still a nuisance.

Comment

If you have any issues with system restore and you belivethey are coming from viruses why you are not usuing a proper anti virust to get rid of them

make sure you turn off system restore, scan your pc, best in SAFE mode, and once you get rid all of the viruses it should work fine

regarding this:
        I sort of fixed the problem by completely emptying the shell entries of "Directory" - yes it seems that I modified that and not the "Folder" entry. The damned thing that I am not using an english version has turned out to be against me.

did you try to install the language pack , which may help you to open it ???

Comment

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
          @="none"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd]
          @="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\shell32.dll,-22022"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd\command]
          @=hex(2):63,00,6d,00,64,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00 ,20,00,2f,00,6b,00,20,00,63,\
          00,64,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,4c,00,22,00,00,00

save as reg and import

Comment

Working...
          X